The Blessing of a Great Wisdom | Teen Ink

The Blessing of a Great Wisdom

By naruto23 BRONZE, Mundelin, Illinois
naruto23 BRONZE, Mundelin, Illinois

When I was a kid I did not live with mom, my mom was living in U.S.A, I lived with my grandma in Nicaragua where I was born, she was taking care of me no matter what; She was blind in one eye because she had a visual disease called cataract, and this shows a disease that makes you lose your vision, and she used to say, “ You have to choose the right way in your life, don’t be like the rest”, as always. There was not a day that I admire this amazing woman in my life, and I think of all the struggle she made for overcome her challenges in life. 

One time She told me that in life we can learn from our mistakes and restart. When she was young, she told me that her father left her and her mom. She learned  to be strong to overcome the challenge of losing her father and help her mom and her siblings.  She had 4 siblings, her mom was working in a factory. She started to take care of her siblings staying at home with them while her mom came back. I continue to be amazed by my grandmother’s kindness, humility, and desire to excel in life.

It was a friday night of october 23, 2012 I was still in Nicaragua back home when we were eating dinner at home as always, and my curiosity leaded me to the next question:  “Are you worry?” I asked her, “ Yes, I am just thinking on what the doctor would predict in my next appointment, she said. This appointment would be on monday october 26.   I have taken care of my eye lately. It’s an important appointment to see how the medicine has progressed on my eye,” she replied. I knew that it was too hard to her know that she was losing vision on one eye. She seemed normal and happy I guess she did this to let us know she was fine, but I know that she was worry about her health. She would have to do a surgery on her eye to recover her vision. The surgery was a success because she could recover her vision, and now she is just following a treatment to get better the eye.

When I got in trouble for example when I had bad grades, she made me a scold about what I was doing wrong, and how to do better. She always said me : “ You have to prepare to affront the struggle of life, and never give up on nothing.” I know that she always finds a way to overcome her problems, she was used to give me that advice such she knew I will need it one day. I can exactly describe my grandmother as an intelligent and expert person who knows what to do in any crucial situation. In her room she put a post on her wall and it said:   “ Cristo es mi salvador” these words give her faith in god, and knowing this everything will be fine for her.

The best way I would describe my grandmother would be through the word “fighter.”
My grandmother has always worked too hard to keep her family happy. She is like a soldier always giving her best every day. She is 74 years old, and I am so impressed of her because the days seemed like the age did not matter for her because she was always energetic in everything she does. When she was tired she used to tell me: “ desearia ser mas joven para hacer lo que hacía antes” this meant that if she was younger, she would do stuff that I have not idea what she would able to do. This experience makes me feel proud of know someone who does not care the struggle to always give 100% more everyday. My grandmother helped me a lot. The time that I was with her It was like be with the fairies that never get old. She impacted me because the time I was with her I learned something new everyday.