Stuart Scott | Teen Ink

Stuart Scott

By JRD45 SILVER, Osprey, Florida
JRD45 SILVER, Osprey, Florida

In the past few weeks, I learned of Stuart Scott's passing. The ESPN analyst died at the age of 49. Not only was he a professional and an individual who brought his own style of reporting to every episode of Sports Center, he was also a loyal father. Though all of this has been said about Scott, his life and pursuit of happiness have been a great motivation to me.

Scott defines the meaning of hard work. Though he was diagnosed with cancer multiple times, he didn't let that affect the way he lived. He enjoyed life and was and is, in my opinion, the greatest model not only for cancer patients but also for any individual suffering through stressful times. As a fan of basketball, I often watched Scott reporting on the NBA Finals. I did not even know that he was diagnosed with cancer until his Espy's speech last year. The strength and courage he put forth into his job and the admirable fortitude he showed when facing the adversity of cancer has taught me to keep on working through trials and tribulations, and reminds me to let the people I love know that I truly care for them. 

The most important thing that Scott has showed me, however, is to pursue a career that I love. The fact that Scott continued to work while diagnosed with cancer displays how much he enjoyed his job. He wasn't going to let cancer get in the way of hosting NBA Countdown, or divulging hot news to the sports world. I can only hope to find a job one day that I am excited to wake up for like Stuart Scott was. Though I never met the man, I can say without a doubt that he is a great inspiration for me and for all.