Unbroken | Teen Ink

Unbroken

November 28, 2014
By coleb BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
coleb BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the book, Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand tells a story of true perseverance through the eyes of a World War II soldier, Louis Zamperini. A truism displayed in this book would be “no matter what you face you can always overcome.”

While Louis was on an airplane over the Pacific Ocean, the airplane he was flying in malfunctioned and spiraled down into the deep, blue ocean. Sadly, only he and two other men survived the accident although more were onboard. The three struggled to survive while each drifted in a lifeboat for 47 sun-scorched days and grueling nights. Sadly, one of the three died before being captured by Japanese soldiers. After barely surviving those 47 days, Louis’ danger was just beginning. The Japanese soldiers took him as a prisoner of war to a brutal camp where he was tortured unmercifully. This is where he remained until the end of WWII, for 2 painstaking years.

Louis Zamperini overcame torture, starvation and dehydration with many near death experiences. This shows he was a man of endurance, strength and perseverance. Many years after the war ended, he decided to search for the Japanese man responsible for the majority of his torture. The scope of which is beyond what most minds could comprehend. He did find the man, known as “Bird”, and when he came face to face with the monster, he felt sorry for him rather than angry and made the decision to truly forgive the man and live his life for the future, moving forward and not looking back.