The Act of Valor | Teen Ink

The Act of Valor

Home sweet home, just the thought of it makes me smile. The war against China is almost over in two weeks I would be on the beach nursing my beer listening to the waves kissing the shore over and over. I am on a routine month long patrol on the aircraft carrier USS Obama of the coast of China.

Suddenly klaxons blaired and tactical red lights flickered on. The looming red lights reminded me of blood.
“Battle stations! Battle stations! This is not a drill! This is not a drill!”, cried the Captain of the ship.
I am a fighter pilot, so when we are in battle stations I report the Battle Room for debrief. When I got there the meeting had already started.
The commander was saying, “Mission objective is to destroy nuclear missiles before they have an opportunity to attack.”
I asked, “Where are they gonna nuke?”
His face turned grim and he said, “America”

5,4,3,2,1,launch. My F-89 fighter jet catapulted down the runway/deck of USS Obama. I pulled back on the joystick and gently lifted  of the boat. My heart skipped a beat when suddenly the radar erupted with flashing dots. My mission was to fly low to avoid enemy radar launch our missiles to disable enemy nuclear missile base.  

The enemy base popped into view on my radar screen.
I thought,” This is it if anything goes wrong the fate of America is done for.”
Images of home flashed in my mind, friends, family could all be saved with a push on a little red button. I was carrying 2 stinger missiles, enough to blow up the entire Pentagon in one hit.

Suddenly the outline enemy base came into view out of the dense early morning sea fog. It was cleverly disguised as a lighthouse. I fired. The missiles flared up and streaked across the sky at supersonic speed. They never saw it coming. The missile lodged itself into the enemy base exploding causing the building to fly in the air and obliterate to ashes before it touched the ground.