The Real Lone Survivor | Teen Ink

The Real Lone Survivor

By Giraffes_are_swag BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
Giraffes_are_swag BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana

You know its cold outside, when you go outside and its cold.

The Lone Survivor is a movie that came out in 2013 about a Navy Seal mission where only one man came out alive. The movie was based on true information. In Afghanistan, June 28, 2005, the quest went terribly wrong, we lost nineteen troops. The real lone survivor is Marcus Luttrell, who lives to tell the tragedy.

On June 28, 2005, a four man squad was dropped off from a chopper, seeking for Ahmad Shah. They were abandoned in the mountains in the frozen rain. They were searching for a place to camp, when they were exposed by a local goat herder. He wasn’t with the enemy forces but could still put them in jeopardy. They did not want to risk getting captured. The man wasn’t armed and they did not want to execute him. Knowing the man would scamper down the mountains and tell the enemy forces, they let him go and dashed into the mountains.

Their mission was dreadful from then on. Men from the enemy forces, running after them in the mountains. 200 men against a 4 man troop. There was gunfire, they had to throw themselves off cliffs, to try to save each other and themselves. They were trying to send a radio call, but it was challenging and they knew one of them was going to have to surrender themselves to send the call. When the call went through, they sent a helicopter full of soldiers, before they could land the chopper erupted.The Taliban team shot the chopper down, killing many American soldiers.

“Fear is a force that sharpens your senses. Being afraid is a state of paralysis in which you can’t do anything.”
  -Marcus Luttrell

“We train for war and fight to win.”
  -Marcus Luttrell

Marcus Luttrell started training to be a Navy seal when he was only 14. Today is a retired United States Navy Seal. He received a Navy Cross for his actions in 2005 for battling against the Taliban fighters during Operation Red Wing.

Marcus was born and raised in Texas. When he graduated high school he attended Sam Houston State University. In 2010, Marcus met the girl of his dreams, they married shortly after. Marcus and Melanie have a son named Axe, and a daughter named Addie. He has written books about the story of Lone Survivor, he also started the Lone Survivor foundation.

What inspired me to write this was that my dad is an ex United States Marine Sniper. He always tells me stories about his time as a marine, he found this movie very sad. I wanted to show that  it didn't ruin his life, he still found happiness.