My Hero Nelson Mandela | Teen Ink

My Hero Nelson Mandela

By kekoa BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
kekoa BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

It is said, “When there is no enemy within, ’the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” African Proverb.

In South Africa who is Rolihlahla Mandela? Well, to the world he is better known as Nelson Mandela, an advocate of human rights, and leader to many South Africans. Mandela is believed to have been born in the town of Mvezo Transkei, in Africa on July 18, 1918.Nelson?s        father,Nkosi Mphakanyiswa Gadla Mandela,                        Chief of the Thembu Tribe, and mother Nonqaphi NoseKeni is also a Thembu tribe member of Mvezo, Transkei, South Africa.

As early as twelve years of age, Nelson’s father died and Rolihlahla (Nelson) became a member at Jongintaba at the Great Place in Mqhekezweni, that’s where his primary teacher Miss Mdingane, was inspired to give him the name of Nelson. In his early adulthood years, Nelson yearned for more education, so he enrolled himself at the University of Fort Hare, for a Bachelors of Arts degree. But all too soon, he was expelled, for joining in a student protest. However, sometime later he was able to return, and complete his Bachelor’s Degree at the University of Fort Hare. The struggles that Nelson Mandela experienced in South Africa for equality in education, racial segregation and fair land ownership. Molded him into the leader, he is known to be. This paragraph made me realize how fortunate I am, to be living in democratic country, and to be a student at Kamehameha School.

What is my thoughts of Nelson Mandela? Learning of Nelson Mandela’s life through this report, and my reading’s, I came to realize that each of us possess a certain amount of skill and ability, but how we apply this skill and ability should be done with respect to all affected. Like the Bible states, “many shall be called, but few will be chosen.”

In June 1961, Mandela was asked to lead the armed struggle which was later known as Umkhonto weSizwe which means (spear of nation) which began December 16, 1961, as a result, on October 9, 1963 Nelson Mandela joined ten others on trial to sabotage in what became known as Rivonia Trial. During his death penalty, he gave a famous speech on April 24, 1964. Which said, “I have fought against white dominations, and I have fought against black dominations. I have cherished an ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal in which I am prepared to die.”

On May 10, 1994 he was inaugurated South Africa?s first democratically elected president. December 5th, 2013 Nelson Mandela died at his home in Johannesburg. I chose Nelson Mandela as my hero simply because, he challenges me to look beyond my own limitations, and family income to succeed. Mandela also set his own life aside, for others and his country in order to build a better Africa. Although prison was imminent for Mandela, he did not hold any bitterness towards his captors, instead he forgave them. 

Finally, Mandela, made his biggest impact by running for president for his country, and winning the election. Although Nelson Mandela made some sacrifices in his life for his people, however his most hardest and heartfelt sacrifices came from being away from his family, that he will never forget. Mandela was a great father to his children, and firmly believed that anyone can be a Hero! If only you believe.

I hope people will be inspired in my piece of work that I did.