A Day To Remember | Teen Ink

A Day To Remember

By Lilredwolf BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Lilredwolf BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

I'm proud of where I'm from but not everything we've done
And it ain't like you and me can re-write history
Our generation didn't start this nation
We're still pickin' up the pieces, walkin' on eggshells, fightin' over yesterday.

Today, 13 years ago, was a very emotional, devastating and tragic day for the United States. We lost many family members, many citizens, loved ones, and most importantly many HERO'S. Whether they were a special force, like a cop or a firefighter, or even just a taxi cab driver who may have saved someone from being covered in debris. All of those who helped are people I consider hero's.

9/11 was the most deadliest day in history for our New York City Firefighters, 343 were killed. Four planes in total were hijacked, two were flown into the World Trade Center in New York. A third plane hit the Pentagon just outside Washington D.C. The fourth and finale plane crashed down into a field in Pennsylvania.

When the first plane(American Airlines Boeing 767) hit the Twin Towers, it was loaded with 20,000 gallons of jet fuel. The first plane crashed into the north tower which left a burning hole around the 80th floor of the 110 story tall skyscraper. The impact instantly killed hundreds of people while also trapping hundreds more in the higher levels above. Only 18 short minutes after the first plane hit the World Trade Center, a second plane was seen appearing out of the smokey sky above. The second plane took a sharp turn directly towards the south tower and sliced through around the 60th floor. This caused a massive explosion. The surrounding buildings and streets below were showered in the burning debris from the tower.

At 9:45 a.m, American Airlines Flight 77 slammed into the west side area of the Pentagon, which is the United States military headquarters, located in Washington, D.C.

Burning jet fuel led to the collapsing a portion of the massive concrete building. At least 125 civilians and military personnel were killed, along with all 64 passengers aboard the airliner.

Meanwhile in New York at 10:28 the North Tower collapsed, in result causing the death of close to 3,000 citizens, as well as 343 firefighters and paramedics. As the Tower was collapsing 23 New York officers and 37 Port Authority police officers were struggling to evacuate and save the office workers who were trapped on the higher floor levels. Only a count of 6 people, at the time of the collapsing, survived. As well as 10,000 others were treated for many severe injuries.

The fourth plane-United Flight 93- in California was hijacked only 40 minutes after leaving the Newark Airport in New Jersey. Due to the plane being delayed in taking off, the passengers aboard learned of the events in New York and Washington via using cell phones to friends or family members. Knowing that the aircraft was not to be returned to the airport a group of flight attendants and passengers planned a rebellion against the terrorists. A passenger, Thomas Burnett Jr., told his wife over the phone that he knew he was going to die, but that still didn’t stop him and the others trying to take the plane back. They fought the four hijackers and are described to have attacked the cockpit with a fire extinguisher and boiling water.

The plane was out of control and it flipped over while speeding at over 500 mph towards the ground. United Flight 93 crashed in a rural field in western Pennsylvania at around 10:10 a.m. There were 45 passengers, sadly all were killed in the act of the group trying to take the plane back. The target of the plane is unknown, but there are many theories that point to the White House, the U.S. Capitol, Maryland's Camp David presidential retreat or even one of the many nuclear power plants along the eastern seaboard.

At 9 p.m, President George W. Bush delivered a televised broadcast from the Oval Office, declaring, “Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American Resolve.”

Operation Enduring Freedom, which stated to destroy Osama bin Laden's terrorist network based out in Afghanistan, began on October 7, 2001. Osama bin Laden, the leader of the 9/11 attacks, was alive until May 2, 2011, when the murder of millions was tracked down and killed by SEAL Team Six at a hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan. Laden's body was brought back to the United States and the exact location was not released to the media.

September 11, is a day that will never be forgotten, we may have lost may lives but we are still going strong. Just like President Bush stated, 'These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American Resolve.'