Fallen | Teen Ink

Fallen

By WendyLovesYou SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington
WendyLovesYou SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington

Life is very complicated. Don't try to find answers. Because when you find answers life changes the question.

Two hours, the length of a movie; just imagine being in a war zone without even knowing. Carl Carson former US Navy sailor was serving on the USS Arizona during the Pearl Harbor attack. Unlike Carl Carson, Steve White author of “Pearl Harbor: A Day of Infamy” wasn’t there that horrifying day but still took an interest in the event. Just like Steve White the current enlisted US Navy sailors weren’t at Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 but they still chose their path of life knowing well that the faith of their ship and lives could be the same as the USS Arizona and many of its men.  There were 1,177 deaths on the USS Arizona, roughly half of the total deaths during the Pearl Harbor attack, but these deaths motivated America to fight and win World War II.

After surviving one of the most tragic events in United States Military history Carl Carson still remembers the day of December 7th 1941 like the back of his hand. At 0805 (8:05am) the first Japanese bomb struck the 4th turret where Carson had just finsh doing his morning chores 10-15 minutes before. Just thinking about that he could be dead if he had took his time with his work. He might have not lived through that dreadful day, maybe not even known about it. Things like this makes you count your blessings and seeing what you have to live for. Even though he made it through that day doesn't mean his friends did. He remembers seeing his friend as he was making his way out of the USS Arizona. “...he was crying and, and asking me for help... And there, there was just nothing in this world I could do for that boy. And that has bothered me all my life…But he died”(Carson 51). Sometimes you just can’t do anything even with all the power in the world. The moment he saw his friend he knew helping was hopeless there was nothing he could do for that boy. After he had jumped ship he remembers the feeling that he could just let go but he didn’t. “...everything was just as peaceful and nice, that it would have been so easy to just let go. And I saw this bright light and something made me come to”(Carson 51). He could have been able to forget everything, the nightmare of that day if he let go. He didn’t though. He will always remember the nightmare of that day, but things like that motivate people to fight in honor of lost one. Living through a nightmare isn’t as forgettable as a dream but sometimes yous you just have to embrace the nightmare.

That is exactly what Steve White done, embrace the night mare by writing “Pearl Harbor: Day of Infamy.” By writing the book he gave us a view of what happened that fateful day in Hawaii. The bombs that were dropped on the USS Arizona were 1,800 pounds. The Japanese created the bombs to do as much damage as possible. That is exactly what you want if you're the enemy. You want to handicap the m for as long as possible.  3 of the 1,800 pound bombs were dropped on the USS Arizona in a one minute time span. That much damage in a matter of that much time is terrifying. Sometimes you just have to keep your head up and pray you’ll make it out. The last bomb that was dropped was dropped on an ammunition storage at 0806 (8:06 am) which  “A massive fireball erupts like a volcano from the ship”(White 25), as Steve White puts. Being in a place like this with everything happening around you must be terrifying, and not even knowing what’s going on. All the damage done and you realize you're the d***ed one this time. The more damage done to the d***ed gives more motivation to fight back.

They know perfectly well that they could be the d***ed at any given moment in time when serving. Current enlisted US Navy sailors know the events of Pearl Harbor and the sinking of the USS Arizona very well. They do what they love even if their life will be taken. They don’t back down with fear, they aren’t afraid. Whenever on deployment United States ships pass by Pearl Harbor to pay their respect by holding the salute the entire time. Even though sailors in Pearl Harbor didn’t win that battle they still fought till the end. To me that’s one of the most honorable things to do in a lifetime. To fight for what’s yours. They are ready to go into battle and meet the fate of the USS Arizona and it’s men if it means protecting their home, their ship, their country. That is exactly what they signed up for. If it ever comes to that they will be ready to die to protect what they love. Doing this shows their fearless even though they may be dying of exactly that when the first shot goes off. They made their choice and live with it no matter what happens during their time of service.

As America kept fighting for America in World War II they remember the deaths in the attack on Pearl Harbor and especially on the USS Arizona. America fought for the fallen of December 7th 1941 to avenge their deaths during the surprise attack. It was one of the most important events in US Military history and World War II. This Event put us in the middle of the war and motivated us to win. I may have not been their like US Navy veteran Carl Carson or know everything like Steve White, and maybe don’t serve now like current enlisted US Navy sailors. But the thing is I will always pay my respects to the fallen men in Pearl Harbor, especially from the USS Arizona. The lives lost that day changed the course of the war. December 7th 1941 changed the course of the United States Military and America.

This is an Essay I wrote for English about an important historical event. Since my father serves in the U.S and is a war vetran that has been deployed more than 3 times Peral Harbor is one of the only historical event that has left a mark on my life.

Brittany1996 SILVER, Waupun, Wisconsin

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.

It was an interesting article about the pearl harbor and ww2, with many facts. But as far as talking about hero's go you only had like three sentences actually paying respects to the people of pearl harbor.