My Super Hero | Teen Ink

My Super Hero

By Daisy Cerdas BRONZE, Mundelein High School, Illinois
Daisy Cerdas BRONZE, Mundelein High School, Illinois

“Are you guys sisters?”

“Nope shes my mom”

That is common saying whenever my mom and I go out in public together. My mother, Margarita Arriaga, is 33 years old, around 5’5 ft tall with nice luscious dark brown wavy hair that falls right above her shoulders and her clear beautiful, aging face. My mom is the most important person in the world to me. She is always there whenever I need some guidance in addition to always motivating me to give my best effort in whatever I'm trying to accomplish. My mom is a strong independent woman and never gives up no matter what, even when other people try to bring her down.

When you look at my mother she looks just like me. We both have similar personalities besides we are very strong headed. My mom had me when she was 17 years old, she was a teen mom. Not a lot of kids are able to attend their parents graduating from high school. Despite from my mom having a baby at such a young age she was always willing to help out. My mom would drive my grandma back and forth from work to home.Both my mom and aunt grew up in Chicago, where they went to elementary school and middle school. When things weren't looking too bright at chicago they decided it was best to move the whole family at Wheeling, IL. Despite from coming from to the city to the urban area she moved on with her life.In high school that’s when my mom and dad started dating.Both my parents made sure I had everything I needed. Till this day my mom always says “ I wouldn't change anything because in the end I got you”.

Since being a teen mom isn't all fun and jokes my mom had to get a stable job. My mom is still til this day always trying to out do herself. She has been working at her same job for 14 years. After, working day and night my mom is now the manger and gets to work with the big bosses. Keep in mind my mom only has a high school diploma. I enjoy hearing stories that my mom tells about her hectic day at work. For example, my mom always says “Everyone always calls me or emails me saying they need my help to solve their problems” or “Today I had over 100 emails”. My mom is willing to help her coworkers even if shes not getting paid for it or it doesn't involve her. People can trust her knowing she has their back no matter what. I know that I can go to my mom whenever I’m stressed out or if I'm not having a good day. She always listens and hears what I have to say. My mom is always encouraging to push my self.For example, she helped me with basketball, always motivating me and always attending my games. Even if my mom isn't the smartest person in the world she always tries helping me with school work especially with math. We always complain about math. For example, “ Ugh I don't get this” or “I will never use this “ . But she does her best motivating  me and making sure I get good grades.

After 14 years my mother has decided to go back to school to get her associate  degree in business administration. This process has been quite difficult for her since she hasn't been in school for 14 years. My mom has a very busy schedule, managing a full time job and then going to two different college classes every four days out of the week and then raising and supporting a teenage girl. I believe it is very brave and daring for my mom to do this but I know she is just trying to achieve her goals and become a better person.

One of the many things my mom and I have in common is we both love to visit new places and go on adventures. Last summer my mom took me to Puerto Rico for a whole week. It was our first time leaving the United States. By being able to go on such a wonderful vacation I know my mom had to work her butt off so we could go. It was so much fun being able to go inside a rainforest and seeing different waterfalls.Getting nice sun kissed tan with a gorgeous view of the ocean and getting to see a different culture.It was a great experience overall. We hope next summer we can go on another vacation to Costa Rica.

One of my favorite thing about my mom is she is really cool. She isn't as strict as other parents are. She trusts me that I won’t do anything bad and I really appreciate it.

“Wow you guys look exactly alike”

“Yea we know but she’s my daughter not my twin”

My mother has been through many tough obstacles but shes able to go through them without any hesitation. My mom is the number one person who makes me want to be a better person and she keeps me motivated. She’s always looking out for others, she gives them a hand whenever they need help. My mom will be my top role model and hero.