Lifelong Hero | Teen Ink

Lifelong Hero

By Daniel Brokamp BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Daniel Brokamp BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

She is the one who holds the door for other, pulls the car around to the front door in the pouring rain, and the one who picks up items for another person that has dropped them. She is my mom. She is an average sized person with silky brown hair and glazing brown eyes. She dresses very nice, and she is always passing on good advice to me in life. She is the person who stands out in a room just like a diamond shining on display at a jewelry store. Everyday I think how amazing it is for her to be in my life. My mom is the most hardworking, caring, and encouraging person.

After every tiring day I come dashing from the car into our house to the chilling and refreshing air. I usually walk into the spotless kitchen and get some pretzels or water and watch some tv. Sometimes I go upstair to my room and complete some homework that is due the next day. Along with that, when I greet my mom and dad and I notice that our whole family room is clean as a whistle! No matter how bad her day was she still has time to clean up and organize the house when I am gone at school. My mom is the person that won't stop doing a task until it is completely complete. Some days I leave the house in the morning and I can tell that she has been cleaning all day because of the large amount of area she has to clean. She is also hard working because she puts her mind to daily tasks and other objectives in her life. She worked hard painting our whole basement because she was determined to finish it in one day. By being a hard worker it has allowed my mom to accomplish many objectives in her life. She was able to get good grades through high school, and continued the trend in college. After graduating college, she put her magnificent hardworking skills to the test by getting a job at a graphic design company. My mother’s hard working trait payed off in the end by letting her get a nice job and later on in life, gave her motivation to continuously work hard at tasks with any relation to both of our lives..

The first phrase my mom says to me when I walk in the do, “How was your day Dan?” This shows how she really cares for me because she is asking how my day went. She is always showing how she cares about my life. She cared about me when I got my braces on in 7th grade. At the appointment you could smell the scent of mouth rinse in the air mixed with air freshener. As I sat down in the chair, the dentist started the procedure to put the braces on, and when it started to hurt my mom held my hand to show she cared how I was feeling at that moment. Her hand was warm, soft and comforting as it clenched my hand. Through the appointment I felt relieved that she did that.  Another time thats he expressed she cared for me came at the beginning of freshman year. I had to take algebra 1 which is new material for me to learn. At one point through term 1 and term 2 I wasn’t understanding the lesson so my mom came over and started helping me. When we both didn’t understand the lesson, we both decided that we would email the teacher for some help. After we emailed the teacher, we got the explanation on how to do the lesson. When we completed the homework, she said,” Now that wasn’t so hard after all wasn’t it? We both couldn’t figure it out at first, but after I emailed the teacher for you we both got it!” She meant that she cared for me by emailing the teacher so she could help me accomplish the homework. Many times after that my mom contacted her to see how I was doing in the class and asking what should improve on. As a result of her doing that I tremendously improved my math skills and wouldn't know the same skills in math as i do today.

My mom is always trying to make me do tasks I really don’t want to. She always is trying to encourage me to do jobs i've never done before like to do new sports, join clubs and volunteer at places. She is always saying, “Just get involved, it can’t hurt you,” and finally her encouragement and pressure succeeded. Both of us are going to volunteer at a place where you help dogs and animals get adopted. She made me volunteer but in the end her encouragement made it feel like a good decision. Also her encouragement is always there for me when I am sad or angry. It is always there to cheer me up and put a smile on my face. My mom is very encouraging when it comes to family badminton. When we are playing in our backyard, with lush, healthy trees we all have tremendous fun! Although we have fun there are time where it gets really intense and serious about who will win and who will lose. When my mom and I are on a team together, if we are down a couple points she always encourages me by saying “We can win if we try our best on every volley.” Her words of encouragement have been a great part of my life and have helped me do assignments that have increased my interaction in society.

My mom, the one who continually demonstrates acts of kindness towards other. The one that has smooth silky brown hair and gazing brown eyes. She is average sized woman that dresses nice and stands out in a crowd. My mom is the person that overcame many major obstacles in their life, and the one who has learned for her mistakes and obstacles. She is the person I think of everyday how they made a difference in my life. My mom is the most hardworking, caring, and encouraging person. By my mom expressing her hardworking, caring, and encouraging traits, it has allowed me to become a better person that knows that they are cared for, and to know there is a person that works hard and encourages me everyday of my life to be the best I can be. My mom is the true hero in my life.