Military Veterans | Teen Ink

Military Veterans

By shrekndonkey BRONZE, Nixa, Missouri
shrekndonkey BRONZE, Nixa, Missouri

"be the change you want to see in the world" - Ghandi (I think)

In 2010, an estimated 76,000 military veterans were sleeping on the streets in America. You may be thinking “At least it’s not me.” No, it isn’t you, because a 2010 census states 0.75 percent of people in the USA are “in uniform.” This means roughly only 3 percent of all veterans are homeless. However, if it they weren’t serving our country, you would have to. So, they don’t deserve to live on our streets.

Did you know, military veterans are twice as likely to become homeless. This is due to multiple factors such as social isolation after serving in a war, paying over 50 percent of their income to rent, and the great length of time taken to file for disability compensations.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is in charge of caring for homeless military men and women, but can only reach about 20 percent of them per year. Military service people help keep us safe so we need to help them. Though it is in their nature never to ask for or admit they need help, their need is clearly reflected by the high suicide rates. 29.7 out of 100,000 servicemen committed suicide in 2012. That is 4.6 more than everyday citizens.

They need our help. You can help by donating personal care items to emergency shelters, volunteering as mentors to help get them back onto their feet, fundraise for them, and many other ways.
Men and women put their lives on the line to save us and keep us free. What can you do to give back?

on Aug. 4 2014 at 11:33 am
nabila1379 SILVER, Solo, Other

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have a faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." - Bruce Lee

I'm not good at math, but this makes sense to me. Many people don't really care about veterans nowadays, although their services are written in the history and taught in class.