Ode to Grandma

Wikipedia says that a hero is “a character who, in the face of danger and adversity… displays courage and the will for self sacrifice.”
Webster, defines a hero as “a peson who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities.”

To me, a person’s hero is someone they can rely on, someone providing endless encouragement and unconditional love. Someone who sticks to you through thick and thin, and keeps sticking even when all you want is for them to leave.

For me, that person is my Grandma. She was always my support group and my best cheerleader. The person who kept nagging me to keep trying when everyone else had given up. Stubborn as a mule she argued my case even when we both knew I was wrong.

My Grandma, who lived through death and loss, but woke up every morning with a smile on her face. Who lived 1,729 miles away, yet managed to visit us four times a year.

She taught for 34 years, and was the one who instilled within me the love of writing. Always encouraging me to write, she helped me grow as a person. Of the many lessons she taught me, the one I will always remember is that to live a happy life, go about it with a smile and never take yourself to seriously.

So, here’s to my Grandma; my hero, my support group, and my best friend.