My Hero

Who is my hero you ask? Well that’s easy because my hero has always been my older sister. Maybe a lot of teens my age say the same thing and I’m not going to say my story tops all, but to me, my sister and I have gone through many obstacles and challenges together. Yes like normal, ordinary siblings we do fight at times and rough ourselves up a bit, so that doesn't mean I hate her because hate is a strong word, but so is love.

We grew up three years apart and closer than ever. My sister was, and still is, like a mother to me because she was the one to protect me from bullies living next door to the cruel babysitter who ‘watched’ us many times when we were underage to stay home alone. She was always there for me…even when it meant knocking out a big kid who picked on me and risking catching his boy cooties. I think even then she would’ve jumped of the tallest jungle gym in order to help me off the ground with a bleeding knee.

Watching the home videos, I realized I was the spoiled brat because I was the youngest, who came along and played with HER toys. My sister didn’t mind when she was told she was not going to have two siblings due to my mother’s miscarriage, a sister and a brother, because she was grateful that she could have a sister that she could protect and watch over. I didn't know that she vowed to never let anyone hurt me the day she shared her Barbies. I think if our brother was alive today, she’d still do the same for him as she does for me. I look up to my sister and admire her, even though I’m an inch taller today. In my opinion, I don’t deserve a sister like her.

Recently, I have found out I have a heart problem where my blood pressure goes sky high. Now I have to watch what I eat and drink because it affects my heart. I used to be very athletic, but I can’t do the things I used to without having pain in my chest or passing out. So, the first time I actually had an ‘episode’ was when I decided to drink a whole energy drink called a Monster, which led me to think I was dying from the inevitable pain in my heart. My sister, who also thought that that night, was my last, stayed by my side when I needed someone. My parents were both asleep, so we had no idea what to do. I was telling her ‘it’s okay’ and ‘I’m fine’ because she was crying, but she knew better. So at about two am in the morning I suddenly went unconscious, but it felt like I was asleep. My sister got up and walked to the bathroom and locked the door. After a few minutes, my eyes opened and I realized she was gone. With my stale tears on my face, I walked out of her room and into the hallway, where I saw the glow of light coming from the crack of the bathroom door. I turned the doorknob and it was in fact, locked. It tore me apart when I heard her crying on the bathroom floor. She thought I had passed away right there on her bed. She said she couldn't bear to lose me because I was the closest thing she has. I even cried because I didn't want to image the thought of losing her neither. So ever since that night when I thought I was on my final death bed, my sister and have grown closer. Like I said before, I don’t think I deserve a sister like her.