Importance of Balence | Teen Ink

Importance of Balence

By Kira Young BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
Kira Young BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina

People she knows say that she seems “Happy and content with her life” she knows how to maintain that family/work balance. And being able to teach others the value of that, is part of Lisa’s, my Mom’s, legacy. She once got a promotion from her boss at work, the job would have required her to commit most of her time to the office. Instead of taking the job, she declined and said ”family comes first.”, an example of how she values family, and always keeps it in mind. Other folks I interviewed (her other daughter and husband) recognized how well she balances her life between work and the family. “...reminds me of what's important, and how to live those important things.” Her caring husband, Mr. Kevin said. “She instills her ability to prioritize well in me.” Says Tessa, her first born daughter.

Her life balance makes Mrs. Lisa a happy gal, but when I asked if her legacy has changed over time, she said “Now I’m more confident and accepting of my choices.” Another part of Lisa’s legacy. She wants her and her family always feel they have a choice and a right to choose. She had two follow up stories about that. When she was 10, Lisa’s parents decided to give up their current lifestyle and moved to Oregon to live on a ranch . She found this a pretty radical decision, even for her parents. The event showed her she always had a choice. Knowing that, it later influenced her to choose to go to peace core and help people. It helped her choose to be a consultant and a writer and a work at home mom.
Lisa was also one of seven children. Her father, Martin told her “I have seven of you, and you're all so different.” She says this made her think of herself as an individual person, which helped her feel she always had a choice for herself, and she could make it. Lisa wants her children and family to have the same outlook as part of her legacy. “She makes me decide, teaches me to choose for myself.” Tessa said.

The one part of her legacy that really had affects and influences on me, is me. Me being born as part of her legacy and being her daughter. It would be impossible for me to learn from her to make my own good choices and keep my life in balance if I hadn't been born, so I’m glad when I asked Lisa what her legacy was part of her answer was “you!” So I’m lucky that me, is part of Lisa’s legacy. As well as being happy with choices and valuing family and work.