Daniel's Legacy | Teen Ink

Daniel's Legacy

April 7, 2014
By CheeseAndRice BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
CheeseAndRice BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Cheese and rice."


“That’s what made Daniel, Daniel.” as said by Robin Scoggins, Daniel Scoggins was always different than everyone else, but in a good way, to sum it up; he was Daniel, and there is no other way to say it, he’s the only person like him and that’s what makes him such a great person. Daniel retired when he was thirty and settled down at his house by his farm. After Daniel retired he devoted his time to artwork, and self sustaining work such as his goat farm, and the sales from his art. Daniel was the youngest of three children and next to youngest of all six siblings. When Daniel was in his late twenties he got married, he had two children, Zoe and Sierra Scoggins. His wife later left him, Daniel was left to raise the two children basically on his own.

Before Daniel passed he was studying (quantum) physics, Daniel was incredibly intelligent and was teaching himself these things. Daniel had a wild imagination, and was always in a happy mood and had very high energy and could cheer you up no matter how bad you were feeling and could seem to make the saddest person crack a smile. Daniel was working on “time machine” before he passed, his creativity and imagination were astounding, I personally believe that Daniel really was working on a time machine, he definitely had the intellect and the skill to do so, I think Daniel passed before he could build the time machine and was still trying to figure it out, but as someone said at the memorial, “Maybe Daniel hasn’t passed and he found out how to get that time machine to work, and that’s where he is now.” Daniel was a very generous person, and would give up anything just to make someone happy, he would always be joking around and messing around to just to make someone happy.

Daniel also built large structures out of scrap metal and would sell them and some he would keep, some of his projects were quite large, he would spend months outside building this art; it was some of the most interesting and visually appealing art I ever have had the pleasure of viewing in person. Daniel collected this extra scrap metal from old rusting cars, friends that had some extra scrap sitting around. He was very talented at what he did, and although he’s passed (as far as I know) his art will remain here and it’s a great way to remember Daniel, it was a passion of his and I’m sure that he was very proud of his accomplishments as an artist, a father, a friend and a brother; because Daniel excelled in being these things.

Although he endured hardships, Daniel came out on top and didn’t let such things crush his spirit, he kept going and always looked on the bright side of things. Daniel taught me to appreciate what I have, to live as much as I can, because tragedies do happen, no one is promised to make it to the next day. Daniel wouldn’t have wanted us to cry over his grave day by day, but instead smile when we remember him, to think of all the good times that were spent in his presence, because death is a horrible, terrible, evil thing, but to me death is just a part of living.


The author's comments:
Daniel was the best.