The Truest Believers | Teen Ink

The Truest Believers

By Sarah1517 GOLD, Vashon, Washington
Sarah1517 GOLD, Vashon, Washington

We never really grow up. We only learn how to act in public.

Some books stay with us forever. It’s because they’re more than just stories. They’re the stories that made us who we are. The characters shaped us, their decisions influenced ours, we fell in and out of love with them, we felt their pain and laughed for their joy. We went on the adventures. We were the true companions, the true friends, that they were never aware of having. Their stories implicate our everyday life in ways no one could have imagined. Because of them perhaps we are a bit kinder, a bit braver, a bit more than we ever could have hoped for. They taught us the meaning of loyalty and true courage. Through them we learned of such innocence that we rejoiced in it, and through them we grew quite as we watched that innocence lost. There was such beauty presented in gentle hands yet at the same time such vile wretchedness that we accepted the small wonderments and mirth given to our characters as delicate presents in fragile casings. We saw heroes at their worst and villains at their best. We learned no one is a devil in their own mind. And when our hero died, with honor or treachery, a little piece of us died, too. So don’t you dare tell me that these are just stories told to children before bed. These are what we are. And we are the most astonishing adventures that you’ll ever know.

Lately I've wondered as to why some stories affect us more so than others. Now I think I can put it into words.

Sarah1517 GOLD said...
on Mar. 28 2016 at 1:50 pm
Sarah1517 GOLD, Vashon, Washington

Thank you!

on Mar. 20 2014 at 7:12 pm
CelebrateDifferences, Long Island, New York

“Gods of Olympus.” Piper stared at Leo. “What happened to you?”
His hair was greased back. He had welding goggles on his forehead, a lipstick mark on his cheek, tattoos all over his arms, and a T-shirt that read HOT STUFF, BAD BOY, and TEAM LEO.
“Long story,” he said.”

A true embodiment of the book lover in all of us. This is a true accomplishment of putting the love of reading into words. Amazing!