My Mentors, and What They Gave Me | Teen Ink

My Mentors, and What They Gave Me

January 18, 2014
By Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once."-- John Green The Fault in Our Stars


About six or seven years ago my mom asked me if I would be okay with having an older couple mentor me. I told her that I was okay with it, so she set up the meeting. I think that was the best decision of my life. When I met the couple it was kind of awkward, but they were nice. We decided that I would go to their house every Thursday after school for a couple hours. At first it was weird, but eventually I got used to it.

After a few years we knew each other really good, and they were becoming part of my family, they would get me presents, and tell me stories. They would tell me about their kids, and eventually I met their kids, and and I became a part of their family. We went to a baseball game together, and the zoo. We did a lot of stuff that would be something a kid would do with their grandparents. They would let me drive around on their lawnmower, which I thought was awesome at the time.

During this time I didn't really have any other grandparents, because there were problems with my mom and my dad, so I didn't see his parents much, and my mom's family was out of state, and I had known my mentors for a longer amount of time than I knew my grandma. So they were my grandparents, and I was their grandson.

About 2 years ago, I was getting into a lot of trouble at home, and my mom decided that I wouldn't be going to my mentors house every week anymore. So it changed to every couple of months, but I was getting older so, it kinda made since. We did still talk though, and when I was playing basketball they came to my games, they would give me cards for being on honor roll, and they continued to treat me as a part of their family. One of them (the guy) was Jarold, and the girl was Janet. Jarold used to ask me stuff like who my girlfriend was and he would take me out to the field when his son was plowing the it. His son owns an hat company and they would give me free hats. I remember a few years ago they gave me a hat that changed color when it was in the sun, I loved that hat. The last hat Jarold gave me was white, with an eagle on the side of it. It is my favorite hat, he gave it to me at the beginning of last summer.

On my birthday this year they gave me a card with $15 in it. It is the best present anybody has ever given me, simply because they were there for me when they didn't have to be. They taught me stuff that I wouldn't have learned else wise. They showed me how important it is to be kind to people, and help others when they are in need. My birthday was on September 15th. On October 2nd my little brother said that there was a blonde girl at the door asking for me. When I went to the door I didn't know who she was, and when she said she was Janet and Jarold's granddaughter Taylor, I realized why I recognized her. I immediately knew something was wrong, and she said Jarold had a heart attack. I broke down in tears, and she sat on my porch with me and helped me get through the initial shock. She asked me if I wanted to go see Janet, and of course I did. I went into my house with tears in my eyes, and told my little brother that Jarold had died, and I was going to his house. He understood that if anybody asked where I was to tell them that. I got in Jarolds son's truck and Taylor drove me out to Janet and Jarold's house, where both of their kids were, and on the way, I had discovered that Jarold had a heart attack on September 29th. I told their family how I had known Janet and Jarold longer than my own grandma. That day was probably the hardest day of my life. That day their entire family aknowledged that I was a part of their family too. They were all very nice to me, and I think they got some of that kindness from Janet and Jarold. They are the two greatest people I have ever met.

The open casket ceremony was on October 4th, and my dad's parents took me. When we first got there, I saw Wayne, he is a member of Janet and Jarold's golf group, I have went out to dinner with them a couple times, and they are all very nice. As we went through the line to the casket I introduced several of Janet and Jarold's family members to my grandparents, and each time I did my grandpa told them how much he appreciated everything Janet and Jarold did for me, and each time he said it he had tears in his eyes. That's when I realized my grandpa knew that he hadn't been there when he should have, and he has been trying to make up for the time he lost, as he knows he doesn't have much longer. That day was one that taught me a lot, one of the things I learned was that I never want to see another dead family member, because seeing Jarold without his smile, and with his skin too pale was terrible. I know they tried to make him look like he did when he was alive, but he didn't look right and I didn't like it.

Jarold's birthday is the 8th of December, so I decided to put a letter for him on his grave. I'm not sure which was harder to write, this or the letter. In the letter I told him all of the stuff that I didn't get to. I asked for him to let me know if he read it, so far he hasn't done anything to say he read it, so I'm assuming he didn't. One of the things I have told his wife since he died that I wanted to tell him, is that they were my grandparents. I wish I had been able to tell him that, I know it would have meant a lot to him.

That September was probably the worst one I have ever had. Even if I had my best birthday ever, I lost two friends, Jarold, and my 11 year old dog Cassie. I will never forget what Jarold did for me, and I will pass it down. Janet, Jarold, and all of their family are great people. They excepted me as one of their own, and they helped me get through the hardest times of my life. Jarold was their for me when I needed somebody, he would joke with me, and he would teach me. He was my grandpa, and one thing I will never forget, that he didn't have to be. His story has always reminded me of that song, where the guy is singing about hoping to be at least half as good as his step-dad, and he says,"I hope I'm at least half the dad he didn't have to be, because he didn't have to be." I hope to one day be to somebody what Jarold was to me. He is probably one of the nicest guys I will ever meet, and I will never forget him, he will forever be my hero.

I have many people I want to be like, including my actual grandpa, but there is nobody who I want to be like as much as I like to be like Jarold. I want to make my dad and grandpa proud, but I want Jarold to be proud of me 10 times as much.


The author's comments:
There are a lot of great people in this world, but none have affected me as much as Jarold. I don't think there is another person out there as nice as him.