Author, J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Author, J.K. Rowling MAG

By ObviouslyPaige BRONZE, Somerville, Maine
ObviouslyPaige BRONZE, Somerville, Maine
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

My definition of a hero is someone who inspires, helps the less fortunate, and overcomes personal obstacles. One woman who I think fits this description is J.K. Rowling.

At one time, she could barely pay the rent and care for her daughter, and now she is one of the richest women in England and has raised and donated millions to various charities. She has also inspired countless children and adults, including me, to love reading and writing. Although she could keep this wealth for herself and her family, she continues to help those in need.

J.K. Rowling has struggled through tough times in her life, ­including depression and the death of her mother, who sadly ­never got a chance to hear about her daughter’s success. While writing her first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling suffered from clinical depression. The only thing that saved her from committing suicide was her daughter, Jessica. She fought through her depression and proved that people should never give up on finding happiness in life.

J.K. Rowling has gone to great lengths for charity. She has donated special editions and signed copies of her books to be auctioned off for charity. She supports nine charities and co-founded the Children’s High Level Group. J.K. Rowling is continually finding ways to help people in need. She could easily relax and enjoy her comfortable life, but she carries on using her astounding writing talent to help make the world a better place.

The Harry Potter books have helped to rekindle the world’s love of reading. I wasn’t into reading until I started Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone when I was six. Since then, J.K. Rowling’s books have helped me discover not only that reading is fun, but that writing is too. Ever since I read her series, I consider writing to be just as enjoyable as playing computer games or watching TV.

A hero is someone who not only succeeds in his or her own life, but who also uses that success to help others. Heroes are ­inspirational people who have the ability to change the world. J.K. Rowling has all of these qualities and more. She has done so many great things with her success and fame. She inspires ­children and adults alike, and reminds us that reading and ­imagination are gifts. J.K. Rowling is my hero, and she is truly an inspiration.