Author, J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Author, J.K. Rowling MAG

By ObviouslyPaige BRONZE, Somerville, Maine
ObviouslyPaige BRONZE, Somerville, Maine

My definition of a hero is someone who inspires, helps the less fortunate, and overcomes personal obstacles. One woman who I think fits this description is J.K. Rowling.

At one time, she could barely pay the rent and care for her daughter, and now she is one of the richest women in England and has raised and donated millions to various charities. She has also inspired countless children and adults, including me, to love reading and writing. Although she could keep this wealth for herself and her family, she continues to help those in need.

J.K. Rowling has struggled through tough times in her life, ­including depression and the death of her mother, who sadly ­never got a chance to hear about her daughter’s success. While writing her first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling suffered from clinical depression. The only thing that saved her from committing suicide was her daughter, Jessica. She fought through her depression and proved that people should never give up on finding happiness in life.

J.K. Rowling has gone to great lengths for charity. She has donated special editions and signed copies of her books to be auctioned off for charity. She supports nine charities and co-founded the Children’s High Level Group. J.K. Rowling is continually finding ways to help people in need. She could easily relax and enjoy her comfortable life, but she carries on using her astounding writing talent to help make the world a better place.

The Harry Potter books have helped to rekindle the world’s love of reading. I wasn’t into reading until I started Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone when I was six. Since then, J.K. Rowling’s books have helped me discover not only that reading is fun, but that writing is too. Ever since I read her series, I consider writing to be just as enjoyable as playing computer games or watching TV.

A hero is someone who not only succeeds in his or her own life, but who also uses that success to help others. Heroes are ­inspirational people who have the ability to change the world. J.K. Rowling has all of these qualities and more. She has done so many great things with her success and fame. She inspires ­children and adults alike, and reminds us that reading and ­imagination are gifts. J.K. Rowling is my hero, and she is truly an inspiration.

Love said...
You bitch.

Moose13276 said...
@YoYoPotato You need to get ur head out of the clouds. J.K. Rowling if more than a hero. Haters gonna' hate, but i don't see why u should hate on J.K. No offense. Potter Head 4 life

YoYoPotato said...
YoYoPotato, Franklin, Wisconsin

"Follow your heart, but keep your head with you."

"Everyone you ever meet knows something you don't" ~Bill Nye

Although I agree that J.K. Rowling is fantastic, and I love her to pieces, I cannot honestly say that she is a hero. There are plenty of other people out there who are helping other people in more significant ways, when in situations that are worse than Rowlings. Sure, Rowling is generous and kind, but she isn't giving her all into helping others. This is not bad or anything, but there are plenty of people who are giving 110% of themselves to others in need. I feel like these people should be recognized to a higher extent than J.K. Rowling because they are more "heroic". And on the contrary, I don't believe that people who overcome their own personal bettles are to be considered heroes. They are strong, sure, but not necessarily heroic.

SallyH said...
on Sep. 4 2013 at 9:24 am
she is a very inspiring person and reading her story almost got me in tears.Love j.K Rowling and her awesome books!!!:)

Bumbleshree said...
J.K. Rowling is one of my all-time heroes too. I wrote a persuasive essay on her for my english class. I'm glad someone thinks so much like me.

Dell said...
I agree with yu. Who ever wrote this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rocks!!!!!!!!!!!1

Cathie said...
on Apr. 18 2009 at 11:20 am
Cathie, Hjørring, Other
I really enjoyed reading this kind of article/essay about the very well-known author, J.K. Rowling. Her strength and imagination inspires me as well, and she was the person who made me be aware of the fantastic things like reading and writing is able to offer every people on earth, if you are susceptible. You come up with original and gifted views *Applaud*

Ellen212 GOLD said...
Ellen212 GOLD, Sebastopol, California
I think that this is a well written piece. I really like the way you said her hardships and then the great things she has done, but also mentioned that there were other things she could be doing, that would not be helping others. You also started and ended with solid statements of what and who a true hero is. Good work!!!

poopey face said...
good good good good good good good

netti said...
Paige, you inspire me and others - keep up the good work