Hero Essay | Teen Ink

Hero Essay

September 14, 2008
By Anonymous

To me a hero is someone who has been through many different experiences in life and also has certain traits, and the person I believe is my hero is my grandma since she is courageous and has a lot of self-control. She has been through many experiences and knows a lot about life. She is my dad’s mom and also has two other kids. She has been married for fifty years and is going on fifty-one.            

My grandma is a good example of a hero because of her wisdom. She has been around more and knows many things from different experiences. She knows a lot of stuff about life and what can happen in your life. It is easy to go to her when you need advice about something.            

Also my grandma has a lot of patience which makes her like a hero. She has had the patience to raise three kids throughout her life. She says that “It was hard at sometimes, but I still enjoyed all of them and learned a lot when raising them.” It takes a lot to be able to have three kids and raise them so well.            

It would be very hard to stay married to the same person for fifty years. My grandma has done that and is on the way to her fifty-first year. This would take a lot of patience, love, and self-control. She said “ It sounds like a long time, but when you care about your spouse enough then you will be able to stay together forever.”

Courage is a trait that I believe my grandma shows a lot of. She never says no to a new challenge and is very adventurous. She says "If I could I would still be working in the dental office and meeting new people." Not many people have this kind of courage and determination when they get older.

I think she can be compared to Odysseus in a few ways. They are both courageous and have been through many different experiences in life. Odysseus is also very wise, and my grandma is very wise as well. I believe she is as wise as someone who has been on earth for 150 years. Both never back down from a challenge and are ready to take on anything that comes at them.

To me a hero is someone who has been through many different experiences in life and also has certain traits, and the person I believe is my hero is my grandma since she is courageous and has a lot of self-control. She shows many traits that heroes show today. A hero is also determined on what people think. That is why people usually have different heroes, and everyone should have a hero so they have someone to look up to.