Mother Janet R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My mom is my hero because she is always there when I need her. She is a caring and compassionate person. My mom always asks how I am and how my day at school was.

One time I came home after a really bad day. As I was taking a math test that seemed to be going well, suddenly right in the middle, I blanked and couldn't remember any of the answers, so I failed. When I got home, I was angry and didn't feel like talking. Mom asked me what had happened and when I finally told her, she said not to worry: the next time I should just stay calm. She made me feel a lot better since I thought she would be angry, and she was the opposite!

Another time I was having a really boring weekend after my plans had all fallen through. Mom marched into my room and told me to get ready because we were going to see a movie and eat out for dinner. We saw "Matrix Reloaded" and I felt better and much less bored. My mom does everything she can to make me feel better and be happy. In my opinion, that is what makes a hero.