Grandma | Teen Ink

Grandma

July 2, 2008
By Anonymous

Two years ago in eighth grade, I did a report on my hero. We had to choose a person from myhero.com. I choose Connie O'Connell, she reminded me me most of my grandma. My grandma did it all. I loved her very no one can fill it but her.

Not a day goes by when I don't think about grandma. Starting around when I was one, I spent weeks at a time with Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Tommy. I did that for years, while my grandma was still well. When my grandma was diagnosed with cancer when I was around six, things started slowly to fall apart.

I miss her hugs, her smile, her scent. I miss the smell of her breath after she drank coffee. I miss when she used to scream at my grandpa in german. I miss going to flea markets with her at six in the morning. But most of all I miss her.

My grandma helped me with baseball even throughout her sickness. I miss the smell of the dish detergent, I miss watching Rugrats with her and eating Dixi Cups Ice Cream, I miss the smell of her knitting basket, the burst of freezzing cold when you jumped into her bed. I miss shopping with her. I miss her mostly.

Many people including you, my brother, and both of my parents will not know Carol Pfifer Henrich the way I did. She loved me. Then why did she leave me? One reason why I believe in my faih is so one day I can meet her again. She is with me always. She's the birds and the flowers in the spring, smiles on the kids faces in the summer, the geese flying south in the fall, and the fresh blanket of snow in the winter.

I miss everyweekend going down to the trailor park where she lived to visit her. I miss taking baths in her tub, with the giant bbbles and teeth marked blocks. I miss the way she used to fluff out her hair. I miss how every room smelled different, but every room smelled like grandma.

When she died in May 2004, my life changed forever. Even today, 4 years later, I can't believe she's not here. I missed the way she'd greeat me on the porch, I miss when she called me her,
'Honey Girl'. I miss the way she used to hit my Dad for making fun of her nickname for me. I miss her. Even though she's gone and nothing can bring her back, she's a great infulence on my life. She took me almost everwhere there was a road. I miss that. I miss the way she'd stroke my forehead when I was sleeping, the way we'd rant and roar for the New York Yankees. I miss everything that was grandma, and I will never forget it.