The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

renie611 said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm:

Wow! Story of my life! I haven't been in the same school for a year in five years! Great story :D

pinkowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
this gave me the chills. i relate to ecery aspect of this. the death of the father, and being the new kid. this is so cute! i really love it. congrats on being published!

pinkowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm :
*every hahah sorry i cant spell!

FlashlevitationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm :
first u said that it gave u the chills, then u say that it was really cute. i dont follow. LOL

Jbohn said...
May 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm:
this is pretty good... check out my work?! Common differences, or life as i know it!! :)

SignGirl said...
When you say "What a dork ..." to whom are you refering to. Because if you are saying "what a dork ..." from your perspective then that would just be puting you as insulting them, and just not being nice after they were being kind to you.

SparrowFeather said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm:
good for you. a girl named alicia talked to you. now tell us why we care. Make us feel how akward you felt. paint us a picture, and fill it with all the colors how that day; your embarrassment, why you're there, what school it was, what the weather was like, what you wore, why you wore it, what you had for breakfast, what you thought about that breakfast, what your move was like, why you moved, whom you moved with, what they thought of the whole thing. Anything and everything. What you st... (more »)

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 10:32 am:
I can only home that Alica doesn't read this!  Very funny! :)

kelleesm said...
i have been in a kind of situation like this before and it was not a good feeling i would hate to have the feeling of being the new girl again it is embbarising and not very good

puertoricanhottie said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 8:02 am:
i once moved from florida to LouisianA to texas to kentucky to new york to florida and back to louisiana

Panda500 said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 9:29 am:

i once moved from cali. to Mass and i felt the same way

alexandra said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:47 am:
i like this story... i was the mew kid once, and i thought i wass gonna be lonely but i ended up having friends... :)

TheAsianHeather said...
The way this person feels is just like the way I felt on my first day of sixth grade.I had just moved to the state at the end of fifth grade and hardly knew anyone.Going to a new middle school with people I hardly knew made me feel like a freak.

alienag said...
i like the ambiguity of this writing. it made me snort, in an ironic way...

PeetaMellark replied...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm :
Haha me too good to know I'm not alone! =)

cman 31 said...
good story everyone should do what Alicia did but kinda short :p

sally said...
It was really cool how the narator's perspective changes as the story goes on.

Mr. BOb said...
Thst is really cool. I think she really is a hero also. Not very many people would do that.

Colorfull said...
ok i see how "Alicia" is the hero. but what made her the hero?

Taylor Swift said...
HOW IS THIS A HERO ARTICLE????