“They Say You Waste Time Asleep, But I’m Just Trying to Dream.” | Teen Ink

“They Say You Waste Time Asleep, But I’m Just Trying to Dream.”

January 9, 2012
By Anonymous BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
Anonymous BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
3 articles 6 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
I hope someday somebody wants to hold you for 20 minutes straight and that's all they do. They don't pull away. They don't look at your face. They don't try to kiss you. All they do is wrap you up in their arms and hold on tight, without an ounce of selfishness to it.


In school, we are taught of many inspirational people in our history who have accomplished remarkable achievements, but there was never any who inspired me. There was never anyone who I looked up to in my life, who I respected. Then, just the way life is, that all changed one day. That day was the day I met Drake.

You won’t find Drake in your history books, he is just a kid in the grade above my grade, but he is so much more than that. Once I took some time to get to know him, I realized how much of a one-of-a-kind, amazing person he is. He helps people any time he can. He helps anyone, and he does selfless acts to help them, acts he won’t get rewarded for. Drake will stick up for people. He never hurts anyone or lies. I trust him completely, and I know he will be there for me when I need him the most. I know he won’t let me down. And even with doing so much good to the people around him, he still cares about global problems too. One of these problems he is passionate about is Invisible Children. He is a very intelligent guy, who can still have fun and laugh. He is not quick to get mad; he just has a genuine sweet heart. And even if you do wrong by him, if you need him, he will drop everything to help you out. He is the most understanding and caring person I have ever met. He has a plan for his future, and at the same time, he doesn’t let his dreams go by the waste side. Drake is a giver, and accepts everyone; he doesn’t judge people or use them. Sometimes, I even think he cares about the ones he loves more than himself. Many people think that someone who is like Drake doesn’t exist, but I am lucky enough to know that there is someone like this.

Drake is my best friend for many reasons; these are just some of them. However, he is someone I look up to because he showed me, what society denies me. He showed me that there is good in the world and true happiness exists even without having perfection. He is an unbelievable man who has changed my life. Drake is my inspiration whom I respect because he has helped me change and grow for the better and has taught me many life lesions. He is my epitome of what a perfect person should be in life. The most important thing he has taught me is that my dreams and the fairytales of happiness can still be real in the harsh world we live in today; that I should go for my dreams no matter what anyone else tells me.


The author's comments:
This is about my best friend. The person I love the most in the world, he is my hero and I look up to him in so many ways. May he always know how much he means to me and how greatly he has helped me grow. Let us stay close in heart even when distance comes in between us.