Abbey | Teen Ink

Abbey

By blueandorange GOLD, Jeffersonville, Indiana
blueandorange GOLD, Jeffersonville, Indiana

It’s funny. That day started out as any other. Nothing out of the ordinary. A normal Sunday morning. Then, in walks Abbey. Just like that. One of the greatest things that would ever happen to me in my whole life had happened, right there, and I didn’t know it.

When I first saw Abbey, I knew I was looking at someone special. I started to watch her. I always watch people, analyze them, figure out what they like, what their dreams are, what makes them tick. That’s how I learn about people. (Call it weird if you must, but that’s what I do.) I saw that Abbey was much more special than I could have realized at first. Let me start out by saying this: Abbey is beautiful. Not just on the outside, but on the inside too, shining and pure. She works hard on every thing she is involved with, even schoolwork. (She takes 3 A.P. and 2 honors classes.) She is real, all the time. She always has a smile on her face and is always excited about something. You just can’t stay sad if you are in the same room as this girl. Abbey is an encourager, even when she doesn’t realize how much she is lifting someone up. Abbey is very expressive. Especially when she is doing sign language. There is a group at my church that does interpretive sign language, and Abbey helps her mother lead it. You can see the words take shape as she signs, and you can feel how much of herself she puts into every movement. It’s really breathtaking. I could go on and on about everything wonderful about her, but I want to tell you about the most important thing. Most of all: Abbey loves you and is there for you, always. It doesn’t matter who you are, where you are, whether she knows you well or not, she cares about you. If you laugh, she laughs with you. If you are sad, she will try to comfort you. If you are scared, she will hold your hand. Everyone. Not just her close friends. Not just girls her own age. Not just people she knows well. She loves everyone, cares about them, and is there when they need a friend. Abbey is the most loving person I have ever known.

Now, let me tell you something. I am not the easiest person to love and make friends with. I’m rather awkward, lacking in many areas, managing to bungle whatever I do. When I saw all this in Abbey, the dreamy part of my brain said, “Wouldn’t it be just lovely if we could be good friends?” Then my logical part took over and said, “Reality Check. This is YOU we’re talking about!” Oh. Yeah. I knew she would always be nice to me, and I would always like her, but a friendship seemed out of the question. I mean, ME. Awkward, blundering, ME. She didn’t really need me, after all. She could easily have all the friends she wanted, ones who were smarter, prettier, and more interesting than me. At first, it seemed as though I was correct. Abbey easily made friends with all the other girls, and I was somewhere in the shadows. But one day, she completely shocks me. Abbey says to me, “I consider you to be my best friend.” WHAT?!?! I can easily say that never in my whole life have I ever been so stunned. I walked around in a daze while my mind screamed, “She can’t mean me, can she? Did I hear her right? She can’t possibly be serious, can she? No, she couldn’t be, could she? She can’t mean me, can she?” Finally, I decided to ask her. I was so cowardly that I had to write her a note. But, she said YES! She did! And then she hugged me while I sobbed my heart out, completely mystified by the fact that as wonderful as she is, she loved me, and she chose me to be her best friend.

I pretty much forgotten what it was like to have a best friend, but I soon rediscovered how comforting it is. I am so glad to know whenever I feel alone, Abbey is there. I worry a lot about various things, and I am so glad I have someone to talk to when it feels like I’m about to burst with sorrow. I’m glad I have someone to share the happy things with too, someone to laugh with and talk to. Not that I don’t have many other wonderful friends. I do. I love them all. But Abbey is different. I remember when we were at a friend’s house, and they had a tire swing with a tree platform you were supposed to jump off of. I wanted to jump off, but I was being cowardly again and I hesitated. I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t jump, but I couldn’t push myself over the edge. Then, Abbey climbed up on the platform with me and put her arms around me. Suddenly, it was like my fear just drained out of me, and I jumped. Now, whenever I feel afraid, I remember the feeling of Abbey’s arms around me, and I know, somehow, that it will be O.K..

If you have a friend who is like Abbey, I hope you are thankful for them with every breath you take. I know I am. When you’re in a dark and lonely world, it means so much to have someone there who will hold your hand and walk with you.

Abbey, if you're reading this, I love you so much. This is everything that I can't seem to find breath to tell you out loud. Thank you.

on Dec. 30 2010 at 9:47 am
We are very proud to be the librarians who have known and appreciated this author since her toddler days!!!!!!!!!!!!Bright future ahead!!!!!