Who is your Hero? | Teen Ink

Who is your Hero?

By Camille GOLD, Milo, Maine
Camille GOLD, Milo, Maine

Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell; I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell. -C.T. Studd.

Take a minute to honestly think, focus your mind, and ask yourself, what is a hero? “ A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.” - Dictionary.com, “A mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability” - Merriam-Webster. Ask this seemingly easy question to Marvel or DC and they would give you a colorful, bright, action packed definition full of adventure and death defying feats where the “hero” is merited in the end for his great deeds. As a child and even up through our adolescent years it was a treat to be able to sit and watch our favorite heros come to life out of the TV or magazines and have such a brave, strapping role model to look up to. We could relate to them and moreover were funny, good-looking, always got what they wanted and most importantly, they never let us down. I have heard it said that in the era of the Great Depression the sales in comic books and other imaginary literature spiked through the roof due to the need of light-heartedness enjoyment. I would imagine that the people and children of that time were in desperate need of a “hero”, a person to save them, or at least a person to confide in.

Now, I don't know about you, but a hero to me is much more than a person with tights and a cape, flexing muscles, and a charming smile. Although all that helps and adds to the fantasy world we tend to slide off into when in need of a rescue, a hero – my hero – triumphs all of that.

My hero is righteous. She knows what is right and what is wrong and is always pursing her way towards the good and pure-hearted. My hero is always giving herself, her time, and advice whenever asked, and always with a gracious, helping heart but asking nothing in return. She is selfless and dedicated and does not sleep. Determination is expressed through her efficiency in her career, family, physical activities, and everyday life. She doesn't not give up on anything, including people. She is compassionate. My hero is God-like, striving every day for a stronger grasp around her beliefs and ideals and pushes higher and closer to her personal saviour in which she finds her strength. She has open eyes to search for the hurting and in-need, open hears to hear the cry of the helpless and the calls of her God, open hands to clothe the poor or to hit a homeroom, and an open heart to any who seek a friend. Like a fictional “hero”, she wears a mask of humility to divert from selfishness and would rather build up those around her to the very best they can be. My hero is honest with her words and actions and never would lead people astray from the truth. She can persevere through any hardship or difficulty and has an majestic view about her purpose here on earth that nothing can get in the way of. She has a way with children, teens, and adults that you would almost think that she has been sent here as a gift to the world. Her smile and encouragement are genuine and from the heart. When she looks at you, you can know that she is looking into your soul with the deepest sincerity. She knows who she is as a person and will not stand for disrespect or stupidity. My hero is an incredible woman whom I hope to be like and love immensely.

My Hero: is wonderful, full of life, interesting inspiring, uplifting, funny, genuine, a mom, a wife, can't watch somebody brush their teeth, a worshiper, loves music, strong, incomparable, influential, hard-core, priceless, wacky, devoted, warm, and altruistic.

My Hero is Dawn Russell

Aleks_K BRONZE said...
Aleks_K BRONZE, Lincoln, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I ain't settlin'
For just getting by
I've had enough so-so
For the rest of my life
Tired of shooting too low
So raise the bar high
"Just enough," ain't enough this time
I ain't settlin' for anything less than everything -Sugarland

Beutifully written. Love it, and is going to appear in the magazine! Thanks for helping me figure out who my hero is!