Christi (Like the Book Character) | Teen Ink

Christi (Like the Book Character)

May 28, 2010
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


What makes a hero? Do they have to have saved someone from a burning building? Or changed the way a nation works? Or have rescued seventeen dogs from a puppy mill? I don't think so. I think the only qualification for a hero/heroine is to have changed a life in one way or another.

My hero is a woman named Christi (like the book character). I met her six years ago at church and connected with her immediately. I honestly can't remember a time without Christi in my life. She has, whether to her knowledge or not, helped mold me into the girl I am today. She has taught me, and continues to teach me, more than she will ever know.

To me, Christi is three things:

3. Pastor's wife- She doesn't fit into the mold most people think when they imagine a pastor's wife: They think prim, proper and up-tight. Christi is far from it. She's not prim and proper; she doesn't like dressing up and is not all that into fashion. When people see her in a nice, well-put-together outfit they say the exact same thing, "Pastor picked it, didn't he?" And she's not up-tight; she is one of the most laid back people I have ever met. She would much rather lounge around the house than go to a fundraiser or meeting.

I can talk to her about anything: God, the Bible, church or even christian books we both read. Her testimony has inspired me greatly and has allowed myself to be open with my own testimony, one which I'm not quite sure where it begins. She is my greatest encourager and I love her to death.

2. Editor/English Teacher- For the longest time, my parents had been switching me from English curriculum to English curriculum, attempting to find one that I could understand. A few months ago my mom was talking Christi about my writing and struggles with English. Christi simply told her not to worry about English; she said that if English had not yet affected me, then leave it. She told mom that my writing would be the only English I needed to learn. I found out about this on accident. I thought my mom had simply not found a new curriculum for me to try and that's why I hadn't been doing English. But now I know it's because Christi wants me to write, and not worry about the rules; Just to write.

3. The most important thing Christi is to me is she's a older sister. I can go to her with any problem and she will listen. She and I have conversations about absolutely nothing and absolutely everything. She could be taking me home from school and we'll spend an extra ten or twenty minutes just sitting in the car, talking. We share the same taste in clothing and books and movies. We could be in a crowd and spot a pair of those to-the-knee high-tops and plan a shopping trip to go buy some (while my mom sits there thinking we're absolutely insane). Her love of literature, unknowingly, has inspired me to explore great books and novels throughout the years. Even Jane Austin, which Christi says she is going to make me read, eventually.

Christi didn't invent some new invention. She didn't save anyone from drowning. She didn't run for president. But she is my hero, all the same. She is my hero because she has inspired me. She is my hero because she encourages me. She is my hero because she is Christi, plain and simple.