My Grandma

When I was younger, I loved a book about a little girl whose grandma had passed away and went to heaven. I’m not sure why I liked it, I didn’t really know the words or exactly what they meant, but I know that I liked the sound of it being read.

Before falling asleep one night, I requested for my grandmother to read it to me. I closed my eyes and smiled sweetly as I heard her recite the words. When she finished reading, I looked into her light blue eyes. “Grandma,” I asked, “Will you ever die?”

“Unfortunately,” she said.

“Will I?”

“Hopefully not for a long time.”

I thought about this response. “Do all people die?” I asked.

“Yes,” she answered, “Eventually.”

“Why?” I asked.

“How could you enjoy every second of life, if you knew you could live it forever?”

“But, what if you die?” I questioned.

“You never know how much you appreciate something until you lose it. It takes losing something to know its value. There is no sentimental value behind something if you have it forever.” She then explained that she had to go. I gave her a kiss on the cheek, and told her that I would love her forever.

I lay in bed that night, thinking about what she said. She must have thought that since I was only 6, I couldn’t understand her, yet I knew exactly what she had said, exactly.

The next night I sat on my parents’ bed watching TV with them. The phone rang. A chill ran down my back just before my dad answered it. I saw his smiling expression tighten into gloom. Then he looked at my mom and me. He stared unblinkingly for what seemed like forever. Then he spoke. “Grandma is dead.”

I then sat there still for the next few minutes. I had never lost anyone before in my life. I didn’t know what to think. All that ran through my head was that I was never going to see her again. She was really gone forever. And through the grief, I smiled. At that instant, I had loved my grandma more than I ever had before. I thought of everything she did for me.

Life changes the most when we don’t expect it to. I never knew what my grandma had aid that night I would remember forever. Of course I am upset when people die, but missing them makes me love them more every second. Life is only living, if you use every second to the fullest, because any second could be your last. Have fun in heaven grandma, your life will live on in my eyes. Forever.

Surya R. said...
Jan. 31 at 2:30 pm:
Very good article  

Lindsey31 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm:
This is beautiful. It reminds me when my grandma died of Alzheimer's.

marissa renae said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm:

i liked this story

it hurts when someone close passes away

Santa said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 9:39 am:
my grandma died

daydreamer22 said...
May 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm:
I love this, it's a beautiful remembrance of your grandmother 

GooGirl1995 said...

I think i remember reading the book you mentioned. Were all the illustrations like paintings and the little girl was wearing a blue dress? 

Anyway, this was fantastic. It is truly painful to see things disappear. Nothing is real till it is gone. We all have to learn that.

TheColorSilver replied...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm :
omg, yes!! that was it!!

GooGirl1995 replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 8:29 am :
haha now I know what you are talking about XD

amazing grace said...
Wow, thats amazing. Smiling through the pain.

I AM IRONMAN said...
Thats sad. Having your grandma die.

milan2007 said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 10:27 am:
Great article ..... family is very important. We have alot to learn form the older generation. You have grown into a very smart young lady,,, congrats  nana

RedEyedDragon said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm:
this is really good and i think i might cry!:'-(

Ninten1992 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm:
This story is very well written. It reminded me of my relationship with my grandfather.

kaylor elizabeth said...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 10:15 am:
when i read tthis story it really touched me this is a sad yet eally good story i love it is so good!!!

miss.yell99 said...
Mar. 10, 2010 at 12:09 am:
this is really really reallyyyy cool xoxo

laRaMeii said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm:
Wow! This is beautiful

LivvinG replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm :
thank you!!

RedEyedDragon replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 2:37 pm :
this is a sad story but for some reason i liked it keep it up! hope it gets chosen for the mag 

girlyygals said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 8:20 am:
Wow, this is absolutely beautiful.

none said...
BeAuTiFuLLLL