Dear Veteran... | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran...

By wolf115 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
wolf115 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home! I’m sure you had a wonderful time in Washington, D.C. today. I have not been there before, but I have seen pictures and videos. All of the memorials are special not only for hard-working veterans like you, but also those who want to learn more about our history and the sacrifices made for our country. It is important that we have respect for our veterans and that we honor them. Thank you for your service and for the sacrifices you have made.

My name is Madelyn, and I am 17 years old. I am a senior in high school. I love music and I play the trombone and euphonium. Last year I had an amazing opportunity to play with my school’s marching band at the airport as Honor Flight members were returning home. It was inspiring to see all the veterans who went on the trip. I was surprised by how many people were there to watch and support everyone returning home. I hope you feel very honored and proud of your service. We are all cheering for you! My high school also hosts a Veteran’s Day breakfast every year and I have been lucky enough to play for the band. As we play the Armed Forces Salute, members from each branch of the military stand while we play their song. I feel very humbled to see all the veterans stand and salute. I can see how proud they are of their service. It is an amazing experience. Perhaps next year you would like to join us and be recognized along with other veterans.

I want to sincerely thank you for your service. It is important to me and I hope you find your sacrifices to be rewarding. My grandpa was drafted for the Vietnam War, but he was unable to serve. It’s because of people like you that our country remains safe. I can’t imagine how it must have felt when you first returned from the war. It was so unfair how veterans like you were treated. I hope that you now receive the respect you deserve and that this letter represents my gratitude towards you and all you have done. Thank you and welcome home.

It has been an honor to write to you today and I hope the rest of your week goes well.

Thank you for your service,

Madelyn

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on an upcoming Honor Flight.