Appreciation for My Rights | Teen Ink

Appreciation for My Rights

By TeenageGirl23 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
TeenageGirl23 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

One by one, 70 fifth graders piled on to the stage in our cafeteria. We sat down, shaking and nervous for our Veterans Day performance. As the music started, the sweat accumulating on my palms intensified and the knot in my stomach got tighter.

My teacher gave me the signal, and I walked to the microphone and said in the most confident voice I could muster, “We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”  

Before this performance, I knew little about what being in the military meant. We prepared for the performance by learning about the sacrifices our military made. We learned about nights soldiers spent not knowing if they will ever see their families again. Eighteen-year old’s shipped off with a rifle strapped to their back just after finishing high school. Veterans coming back from Vietnam and were shamed and spit on by neighbors. Putting on a show for these men and women was the least we could do.

Before the show started, the grade piled into a classroom. Soon, both of my grandpas walk into the room (invited by my mother to come speak with us). They told us about their experience serving our country, all of the hardships they faced, and the pain of being in combat and missing their families. My beaming smile didn’t leave my face afterward because I felt so proud to call these men my grandpas.

Appreciation. Even at the age of eleven, I was in awe of what veterans did for us. The impact of their stories made me appreciate them and my right to freedom of speech. Thank you to all veterans, from the depths of my heart. I will never understand what it means to sacrifice so much, but I enjoy my right to speak my mind and show gratitude for people protected them for me.