Captain America | Teen Ink

Captain America

By carterbashta BRONZE, Auburn, New York
carterbashta BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Steve Rogers rugged upbringing shaped him to be the leader and hero Captain America is known as today. Captain America throughout his time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has proved to be an essential member of the Avengers through his leadership qualities. These qualities stemmed from his ability to distinguish what was morally right and wrong for the betterment of the world. Captain America’s willingness not to back down, stress on community, and fighting for what he believes in all make up his essentiality of being a leader in the Avengers.

In the film, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division (S.H.I.E.L.D.) was infiltrated at high-level positions by the terrorist organization HYDRA. S.H.I.E.L.D. intended to launch three helicarriers in order to eliminate terrorist threats around the world. HYDRA’s internal plan consisted of hijacking the targeting systems aboard the helicarriers and killing over 8 million people. Captain America (who was then working for S.H.I.E.L.D at the time) was framed as a criminal after almost uncovering the truth. After being on the run, discovering secrets about the infiltration of HYDRA he finally made it back to the facility. After breaking in, over the intercom, he revealed to all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents about the infiltration of HYDRA and to not to launch the helicarriers. He ends his speech with “I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not”. Steve’s plea is perfected in this scene with a dramatic score building in the background truly conveying his dedication even if he is without help or killed. Captain America's willingness to dedicate himself to the cause he believes in has made him such a crucial leader needed within the Avengers.

During the film “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, when angrily confronted about what occurred that led to the accidental creation of the murder bot Ultron, Tony Stark begins ranting on the subject of how Ultron was supposed to be the key to a global peacekeeping initiative. He goes on asking the Avengers how they are to deal with much worse threats in the future if it weren't for what he was trying to do. Steve responds telling him the only way they can do it is together. Tony says they will lose. To which Steve concludes “Then we’ll do that together, too”. This stress on community exhibits his feeling of unity with the rest of the team even in the event of losing. His attitude of rising and falling together is exactly the type of leadership necessary within the Avengers.

At this point in “Avengers: Infinity War” Captain America and the secret Avengers had been on the run for two years from their crimes committed in “Captain America: Civil War”. This new take on the hardened character reveals the renegade, soldier without a country version of Captain Rogers after the falling out. When informed of the attack on earth on its way, he is essentially told by Thaddeus Ross he is not forgiven and they do not need him. To which he replies with “I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... We'll fight you, too.” In this case, his persistence in protecting the world’s interests outways those in positions of authority giving him orders. A leader’s ability to carry out their job is not dependent on whose orders they follow, but ones they make for themselves.

Spoken by Sharon Carter "Compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move… it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say No, you move. (Captain America: Civil War)". Those that lead have make the toughest decisions in pursuit of the greater good and I believe Captain America has illustrated that perfectly. His leadership to the Avengers is a crucial part of his presence on the team.

Captain America has always been a role model to me in the way he has carried himself through the unrealistic but strongly messaged movies.