Mrs. Foxwell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Foxwell

By Rkuch BRONZE, Hockessin De, Delaware
Rkuch BRONZE, Hockessin De, Delaware

Did your business technology teacher teach you real life skills? Did you learn how to write a business plan, write checks, make a resume or open a business? Well Mrs. Eva Foxwell taught my 8th grade class all of these daily skills and more. Personally, I think Educator of the Year should be about the way someone taught and how their way of teaching is unique and still works amazingly. That is what Mrs. Foxwell is all about. She even made a book about how she teaches (managing the classroom). She teaches in a unique way, relates all her lessons to the real world, and teaches relative skills in her classroom. Mrs. Foxwell is a great teacher overall; she really knows how to teach in a unique way while relating our work to the business world and teaching us real world skills.

Mrs. Foxwell teaches in very unique and fun ways. In 8th grade we interviewed with owners of businesses to help us prepare for any interviews we may have in the future. This helped me so much for my highschool interview. Every morning when I would walk into her class, she would brighten my day by giving me a high five and following it with a “happy Monday” for everyday of the week. Mrs. Foxwell would use human examples to show us a demonstration for businesses. She would bring up an idea and see how many people really like it so you could truly see what you need to provide in a business world to turn heads. Before the big interview in her class, we would practice with the other students. I think she is great at making class fun and definitely relates her work to real world experiences.

How does she relate her work to the real world you might ask? Mrs. Foxwell and her husband have a business with cars. So anything she has to say about what it’s like in the business world is true and is a great to hear about because it would prepare any of her students for the future. Mrs. Foxwell also talked a lot about her life as a child and growing up. She told us many things that could help us while we are growing up. She has told us many bad things, good things and funny things to teach us about what life really is. She also knows what to look for in a good employee; this helps us because now we know what we need to do. Mrs. Foxwell has interviewed many people, so she knows what we need to do to have a amazing interview. She also has looked at many resumes for people applying to her job; she knows what a good resume looks like in a bad resume looks like. Things like this could help us so much in the future. The way that she relates her life to class is amazing. Not only does she teach in a fun way, but she teaches real world experiences that will help us amazingly in the future.

Personally, I didn't have Mrs. Foxwell as a sixth grade teacher. That didn't stop me from finding out what they did. In her class she would have us going to typing on a website most of the days so we could learn how to type more efficiently. She also taught us that good eye contact and a firm handshake is a good way to greet someone. In seventh grade we made a 30 page business plan, and we had to present it to the other students’ parents and CEOs of Red Clay Consolidated school district. While doing the business plan, we learned many things, like how much it takes to open a business, and the proper way to make a business plan. The business plan also helped us with buying places. We had to look for a place to open our shop and act like we were going to buy it. We had a certain amount of money and the cost of the shop came out of it. Then in 8th grade, first we learned how to write checks. This is a major part of our future because were going to be writing checks, and we need to know how to write one out. Then we started making resumes like we are applying for a job. Finally, when the end of the year came around, Mrs. Foxwell while brought CEOs of many businesses in so we could interview them. All of these things help us in the real world because it’s things that we’re going to have to do in our future whether to open up a business, interview for a job, or even writing checks out.

Like I said, I think Educator of the Year should be about the way someone teaches and had their way of teaching is unique and still works for all types of students. Overall, I think Mrs. Foxwell is the best choice for the Educator of the Year because, she grabs our attention by making class fun but entertains us with real world experiences and life skills that could help us tremendously in life