Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

May 9, 2018
By 20ecu22 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
20ecu22 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
20 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never thought of being a teacher before I met Mrs. Elmergeen. It always seemed like too tough of a job for such little pay. I didn’t think I would ever want to spend the rest of my career back in a high school; that is, until I took English 10.

As a sophomore at Arrowhead High School, I was nervous on the first day of school. I did not know anyone in my classes and still was getting a feel for the school. The second I walked into my English class, all of my anxiety was washed away. Mrs. Elmergreen’s smile was as bright as the sun. She instantly lit up the room and made each student feel welcome. She would stand outside of the door before each class and welcomed each person in with a bright smile. She made her classroom a place where everyone felt comfortable and willing to open up to other students in addition to Mrs. Elmergeen herself.

I have always loved English, but my sophomore year was when I knew I wanted to pursue a career in secondary education. Mrs. Elmergreen shed so much energy into her class as she taught, she made each class entertaining no matter what we did. The most important thing about her is that you could immediately tell that she loved to share her talents with students like me so we can succeed.

Even on days when struggled, she would come talk to me and help me accomplish my goals for the day. She would not let one day go to waste even if a student was having a hard time. At the start of English 10, I was not a huge fan of reading long books then proceeding to have assignments on the chapters we read. Sophomore year, we read To Kill A Mockingbird and The Kite Runner. These turned out to be two of my all time favorite novels. Without the encouragement and passion that she gave me, I would not be where I am without the help of her. I am more confident in English because of what she taught me. She taught me to not be afraid of who I am to express myself no matter what.

Not only is Mrs. Elmergreen a knowledgeable teacher, but she has a gentle soul that inspired me to be the best student I can be, as well as a person. Each day of my sophomore year was not all smiles and happy times. When I would have a difficult day or was struggling in her class as well as other subjects, she would be so caring to talk to me about anything.

Mrs. Elmergree is truly a wonderful person as well as a dedicated teacher who radiates her personality. She has forever impacted the way I view English. She is nurturing and optimistic and will not only leave an impact on me, but also her future students.

Without the encouragement and help from Mrs. Elmergreen, I truly would never thought of being a teacher just like her one day. I would have never thought to share my hidden talents with students just like me. Thank you, Mrs. Elmergreen, for turning me into the student and person that I am today.