Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By JohnDoe0875 GOLD, Lisbon, Wisconsin
JohnDoe0875 GOLD, Lisbon, Wisconsin

The call up to varsity for hockey was a moment I will never forget. Coach Valimont, I would like to thank you for all the opportunities you have given me. Thank you for allowing me to play with my brother whom I have never played with, helping me out through life problems, and being a great mentor to me.

Coach Valimont is known for his great 10 years playing professional hockey and for his impressive high school coaching record. But when you are a player of Coach Valimont, it’s much more than just a game. He teaches life lessons through hockey, and has had an impact on many more lives than just mine.

Coach Valimont is a successful businessman and brings his lessons to the rink. One line that he repeats often is, “you get out what you put in.” If you put a little effort and dedication then you will get a little out of it. If you put everything you have into everything you do, then life will treat you well. I have learned I need to put all my energy and effort into everything I do if I want results. In life, nothing is handed to you. Life isn’t fair, but through the help of Coach Valimont, I have learned how decisions I make now can change my life.

I have the utmost respect for Coach Valimont; with his help I have not only become a better hockey player, but I feel I’ve become a better person. He understands players are ultimately high school kids with a passion for hockey. As he says daily, “when you walk in the door of the rink drop your luggage off, and bring your lunchbox to work.”  He is saying that when you walk in the doors of the rink, forget about all of life’s problems and focus on working towards your hockey game.

Hockey has always been an escape from the real world for me. And now, as I walk into the doors,I leave my stress and worries at the door and get  to work.

As a freshman I struggled with my relationship with my brother whom was a senior. We didn’t get along and fought. When I got called up to varsity, I vividly remember him calling me into his office to have a talk to him. He helped me understand the importance of family and how my brother will be with me for my whole life. Since then I have established a strong relationship with my brother. That is something I can never repay.

Since freshman year, I have learned about myself and life through the game of hockey. Coach’s teaching moments and lessons will stay with me for my whole life.

I know I cannot repay you for all you have done for me, but I am very thankful for everything you have done in my life. I would like to acknowledge Coach Valimont’s dedication to teaching the sport of hockey, but most importantly being a great mentor/role model to people like me.