Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By ksacth7 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ksacth7 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Before fifth grade, I didn't like going to school. For me, it’s the teacher that makes the difference, not the class or the number of friends you have in the class with you. My all time favorite teacher out of the 70+ that I have had, from Wee Know to Kindergarten through the second semester of my senior year in high school, including all middle and high school teachers, is Mrs. Pierce.

Mrs. Pierce was my fifth grade teacher at Hartland South. She was known as “the best fifth grade teacher at Hartland South”. Everyone in my fourth grade class said they wished they would have Mrs. Pierce.

Mrs. Pierce is funny and nice and makes kids want to be there. With her around, the school never felt like a prison. She is the most memorable teacher I have ever had.

Even after seven years, I still remember most of the best moments we had in class. I remember Mrs. Pierce one day asking, for some unknown reason, “raise your hand if you can burp the ABC’s?” Only two out of 52 hands went up on the air, one was mine and one was from a boy named Jordan. Once she saw my hand go up, she said for us both to burp the ABC’s in front of the whole class, and of course “ladies first,” as she would always say. Mrs. Pierce always lets everyone be themselves because there's no judging in her classroom, it’s best to be unique and be yourself.

Mrs. Pierce was always herself in class, she would never hide anything, I still remember her saying of “Don't get your knickers in a twist.” No one in my class figured out what she meant even though she said it every day. One day a fellow student said it back to Mrs. Pierce and she replied, “I can’t, I’m wearing a skirt.” I never understood what she meant by that saying, eventually I assumed she was talking about pants.

Mrs. Pierce ALWAYS made the school day fun and interesting. When we were learning about rocks, (metamorphic, sedimentary, or igneous), I remember the Rock Concert. We took classic rock songs like, We Will Rock You, and Crazy Train, and a few others, and turned them from classic rock songs to our own songs about rocks. Mrs. Pierce has a fantastic way to teach kids; all she does is make it fun. School can be fun, when you think positively about it then it won't be so bad.

I have always felt that Mrs. Pierce was a teacher I could confide in. She is so welcoming and respectful of everyone. I respect Mrs. Pierce because she respects herself and everyone I have seen her interact with. She loves teaching and has been doing it for years. She always talked about her son and gave examples of what he has done to persuade us to wear our helmets and be safe. Mrs. Pierce cares about all of her students and makes school fun and entertaining, there was never a time in class where I was bored.

Because of Mrs. Pierce, I learned school can be fun. School doesn't have to feel like a prison, sometimes it does, but it really isn't. You get to leave at the end of the day and you get recess. With only having Mrs. Pierce as my fifth grade teacher, she is the most memorable and is still my all time favorite teacher out of the 70+ that I have had, from Wee Know to Kindergarten through the second semester of my senior year in high school, including all middle and high school teachers.