Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By sophhjoness BRONZE, San Diego, California
sophhjoness BRONZE, San Diego, California

At Mt. Carmel High School, I believe the teacher deserving of Educator of the Year is Ms. Megan Ellsworth-Reinero. She teaches us, the students, to love history and to appreciate it, not just the facts we need in order to pass the AP test for AP U.S. History, the class she teaches me. She demands a lot from her students, and pushes us to get better. Typically, classes that have a lot of lectures can get boring, but she keeps them interesting, and I even look forward to them. She is really good at demonstrating parallels between the past and the present, which keeps the lectures even more intriguing. Most importantly, it feels like she really cares about her students. If someone is dealing with personal issues, you can talk to her and she will do her best to help. For example, I have been very stressed this school year, partly due to more schoolwork than in previous years and partly due to things outside of school. Ms. Ellsworth has been so great with helping me figure out how to deal with the stress, and has kept me motivated to finish the year strong. I really appreciate the work she puts in for me and all the other students that she teaches, both through her teaching and through the support that she gives us.