Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

February 27, 2018
By KassiePayne BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
KassiePayne BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mrs. Doolas,


Throughout the last year, you truly influenced me to look at things in a new light. I see the world in a more glass half-full manner and it makes all the difference. Thanks to you I came out of my shell and start to take the world head on. During early October of last year I suffered immensely, mentally and emotionally. Learning to cope with anxiety and depression continues as one of the toughest challenges I face. You helped, and continue to help me learn more about myself and face the everyday challenges coming with a mental diagnosis. Your counseling inspires me to never let anxiety overwhelm my life, but you as a person inspire me to live my life as a genuine, thoughtful, and tolerant individual, and for this I forever thank you.  


Admiration only begins to describe the respect and veneration I feel for you. I admire the open mindedness of all your counseling. Worry about judgement vanishes whenever I enter your room. In the last few years, tolerance for one another became increasingly and disturbingly low. We move forward as a human race, but old prejudice holds many back. The acceptance you teach continues to remind me: everyone deserves respect. I also admire your patience and never ending love for each member of our tight knit community at East Prairie. I look up to the way you conduct your everyday life and hope to impact people’s lives, just as you impact mine.


East Prairie School employs wonderful teachers but during my nine years of education here, I feel the utmost appreciation for you and all you undertake for the students. People surround mental illness with a social stigma you continue to break. I feel more comfortable with myself and more at peace with my mind. You listen to what I say, my hopes, dreams, and opinions. I appreciate the time you take to listen to me, the thought you give to every one of our sessions, and the dedication you put towards your students. Finally, I appreciate you as a person and a major part of my life. Thank you.


Sincerely,


Kassie P.


The author's comments:

This piece is about my guidance counselor.