Joe Gizzo • ASB Advisor • Meadowbrook Middle School | Teen Ink

Joe Gizzo • ASB Advisor • Meadowbrook Middle School MAG

Although I have had numerous teachers throughout my many years of schooling, one teacher stands out among the rest: Joe Gizzo – my Associated Student Body (ASB) advisor when I attended Meadowbrook Middle School.

In addition to exuberantly teaching photography and yearbook classes, he devoted enormous amounts of time outside of the classroom to ensure his ASB students had the best possible work environment stocked with proper supplies. Tons of poster paper, markers, fluorescent paints, and every other art supply imaginable were at our disposal, in addition to the video cameras in the video technology classroom and iTunes money to purchase the songs requested by the student body to be played on “Fun Fridays.” In regards to the unique curriculum, we participated in a job-rotation system, so each week we had a different responsibility. For example, one week a group or two would be assigned to design posters for upcoming events; this fostered creativity in those who are not artistically-inclined. His teaching style was very unique in the sense that he let the students teach the class once a week. Students got to choose an aspect of leadership to discuss with their fellow ASB members, and engaged in activities to promote team bonding and social interaction. The freedoms given to us as ASB members led the way for the expression of individuality among students, and a responsibility to our peers to produce quality work in order to benefit all of ASB and Meadowbrook as a whole.

My 8th grade year, Mr. Gizzo missed the majority of the school year due to illnesses that left him hospitalized. His brother, Gizzo #2 as we called him, stepped in as our substitute teacher to ensure our ASB experience remained stable. It was very difficult for me to continue with my same work ethic when my favorite teacher was not there. Mr. Gizzo’s perseverance to recover, not only for his family but also his ASB students, inspired me to work even harder than I did previously. When I was in middle school, I suffered through severe anxiety and depression, struggled with self-harm, and felt extremely alone. ASB was the only place where I felt like I could be myself and create a positive environment for my peers, even if I was unhappy myself. If not for this well-executed program, I do not think I would have the skills needed to succeed in high school and in life. Mr. Gizzo taught me how to embrace my natural leadership qualities and to help those around me; he encouraged me to be myself – to let my positivity and smile continue to light up rooms. To quote what Mr. Gizzo wrote in my 8th grade yearbook: “Thank you for an amazing couple of years here at MBMS. Your amazing attitude and bright personality are a highlight of my day in ASB class. You are very deserving of the award you earned [I earned Best ASB Member two years in a row, an award voted on by my fellow peers]. Thank you for being true to yourself and working hard each and every day to make Meadowbrook a great place to learn. I am proud of you. Keep the same attitude and work ethic and you will go far. Good luck in the future.”

I have grown so much since middle school and have become much happier. Although I did not join ASB in high school, I became involved in other beneficial programs, such as choir and volleyball. These activites push me to be the best possible me I can be, and if not for the encouragement I received in my younger years from Mr. Gizzo, I would not have found the confidence to challenge myself today. I am thankful for the opportunities I was able to learn from while in middle school; I was able to cope with my mental health issues and seek friendships that were healthy later on in my life. Mr. Gizzo believed in me when no one else did, and for that I am forever grateful. 

I hope people understand how simple encouragment when someone is going through a tough time can be more beneficial than you could ever imagine.