Educator of the Year Contest | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Contest

January 11, 2017
By Wyattmin27 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Wyattmin27 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There was this one coach that helped me out so much and his name is Mr. Calvin Butcher “Coach Cal”. He played baseball at Saint Augustine University for four years. He has had a real influence on me by showing me my potential in baseball. He has such a huge influence on every kid that he has ever coached by teaching them the correct way to enjoy baseball.

 

Coach Cal is by far the most selfless person I have ever met. There was one time I was in a bad slump over two games; he stayed after for three practices in a row just because he didn’t want to see me fail. Normally, the practices ended at 4, but he went the extra mile just for me and stayed until six just because he didn’t want to see me keep failing, because he knew I could do better.


He deserves to be The Educator of the Year because he never gets mad he always cracked a joke even after we lost by a lot. Yes, he wasn’t pleased with it because he knew we could do better. He didn’t care as long as we had fun because that’s what the game is all about. There was this one time we lost by 6 but he didn’t even care because he knows everyone has their off days.


The last thing is that he believed in everyone that played for him, by that I mean he treated everyone like they were the best player on the team. But with me he always pushed me to do extra because I was one of the best on the team, and he knew I could do better than what I was putting out on the field.


Let’s just say without Coach Cal I wouldn’t be as good of a player that I am today. He pushed me harder than any other coach I have ever had. I respect him so much for what he has done for me and all my teammates, and that’s why I’m nominating for The Educator of the Year award.