Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

The teacher who has inspired me and has made me a better person is Mr. Warner. He taught me throughout middle school at Holy Angels. Mr. Warner was one of the main reasons I liked going to Religion class every day. He first came to our school in 2014. He showed up full of positivity and always had a smile on his face. Because of him, I am a better person and have a good attitude towards everything that I am faced with.

Throughout junior high school at Holy Angels, I was taught by mostly women teachers. Since they were women, they seemed to favor the girls in the class over the boys. They wouldn’t be rude to, yell, or get mad at the female students when they did not do their homework or pay attention in class. Mr. Warner came in and treated everyone with equal respect. He got along with everyone, even the really difficult students in his class.

Mr. Warner taught two subjects: math and religion. He also managed to make time to help with other activities at school. He always played with us during recess, had lunch duty, was the DJ at all of all of our school functions, as well as helped with many other extra duties. One time when I was with my mom shopping at Boscov’s, I saw Mr. Warner working in the store. I found out that he did that so he could help provide for his mother. Unlike the other teachers I had, he would let us call him nicknames. He also had a nickname for every single one of his students.

I was a bit of a troublemaker throughout my junior high years, just like most of the other boys. We were always getting yelled at for doing small stupid stuff by all of the other female teachers. They gave us detention all of the time. Once he came into our school lives, we rarely got into trouble anymore. He taught us how to act in front of our teachers to avoid getting into trouble. He always let us play games in his class and listen to music while we were reading. He taught us so many lessons, including that it’s the small stuff that counts the most.

I would like to nominate Mr. Warner for the Educator of the Year award for all he has done for me and taught me. He was the best teacher anyone could ever ask for. Thank you Mr. Warner for helping me and guiding me towards The Delaware Military Academy. Your support and guidance truly meant so much to me.