Ms. McGuigan | Teen Ink

Ms. McGuigan

By brandon.murphy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
brandon.murphy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

In my opinion, the traits that make up a great educator are: approachable, friendly, kind, supportive, generous, and intelligent.  Of the traits listed above, friendly, kind, and supportive. All stand out to me. An approachable educator is important because you can come to them and talk about your problems whether you are having a good day or a bad one. Kindness helps the teacher and makes them more approachable. When a teacher is kind, she is also supportive at the same time because both of the traits are very similar. An example of this is using their lunch hours or their free time to help you out with school work or other assignments.

The educator that I have selected is my middle school employee named Antonella McGuigan. She is the school psychologist for Skyline Middle School. The reason I know Mrs. McGuigan is because she is the person that handles my Individual Education Plan (IEP). I have picked her as my Educator of the Year because she possesses all of the traits that I have stated above. She made a significant impact on my eighth grade year at Skyline.
The Last school year was a bumpy year for me at Skyline. A lot of new students transferred in from other schools, and some of my friends were transferred to other schools. The bullying and detention rates escalated very quickly throughout the year. This caused many students/ instructors to want to leave and never return. Mrs. McGuigan rapidly became my refuge; she knew that I had potential, and she shared my concern about the changes within the school.

Each day Mrs. McGuigan listened and had lunch while I expressed my issues and concerns. This lunch time session quickly became a group event. She was extremely knowledgeable, supportive, and caring overtime. My grades progressed I was less withdrawn, and I became a representative of my student body. I was selected to be a ‘paw pal’, a student to student tutoring captain.

Mrs. McGuigan is all of these approachable, friendly, kind, supportive, generous, and intelligent. The reason that Mrs. McGuigan is my choice for Educator of the Year is because she showed of these traits and made a significant impact on my life. The numerous things that she has done for me I cannot thank her enough.