Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

January 2, 2017
By taylorludlum BRONZE, Wilmington , Delaware
taylorludlum BRONZE, Wilmington , Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

After graduating middle school I thought I wasn't prepared for high school at all, but on the first day I walked into science class, and she gave us the overview for the year. As I looked over the overview, I realized all the stuff I learned in science last year we were going to do this year. I was surprised and relieved and all  thanks to my science teacher Justine Wood .I was a little less nervous, and I felt more prepared  for high school. If I got to select the Educator of the year award ,I would give to her, and here are some of my reasons.

       

The thing Mrs.Wood does that most teachers don't do is she makes the lessons the way we (the students) can understand. She makes the boring lessons become fun. Everyday I would enjoy coming to her class, and I would be excited to learn; unlike any other class I had I would be bored and not understand anything. I think if more teachers teach like her students wouldn't come home and say they learned nothing. They would be excited to go to school and talk to their parents about what they learned. The environment she teaches in feels safe, and she has a mindset that all students can learn. For my friends and I friends these were the things most successful for us.

 

Determination can be hard to accomplish especially when you are trying to start up a program of your own , but not for Mrs.Wood. She decided to start a great program in which I was involved in, this program included helping children in our community with science after school. The children learned so many new things and I also learned new things by helping me. Mrs. Wood asked our class if we wanted to help and i think only about ten kids wanted to help. She had another teacher that helped her that it is, and  I knew she felt really passionate about starting this program which I think is great; not all teachers start their own programs and become successful. Its an great program ,and I really hope it continues.

      

Most teachers have bad days, but I cant remember ant time Mrs.Wood wasn't smiling and being positive. You can tell she really enjoys her jobs and loves kids. Some teachers you can tell they don't care, but not with Mrs. Wood. I remember in the beginning of eighth grade, I wasn't doing so well so Mrs.Wood and my dad would talk on the phone about my grades and what I can do and what I'm missing. None of my teachers have ever put that much effort and care into my grade. She could have just let me fail but instead she helped me be successful.

    

I think Justine Wood deserves every single teacher award out there. She has impacted my life greatly, and I am very thankful to have had a teacher as great as her. Her determination, caring about others, and creativity I will never forget. She has made me a better person and has never given up on me. She's my nomination for the Educator of the year award.