MSgt. Howie | Teen Ink

MSgt. Howie

By ryanmurphy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
ryanmurphy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I felt like Delaware Military Academy was going to be the place for me before I even walked through the doors. Although I was pretty sure I was going to love going to DMA, when I walked into my first class, I have to say I was a little worried. My first class of the day was Naval Science. Naval science is the class where we learn all about the military and do all the physical stuff, push ups, sits up, and run, but that wasn’t the part that worried me. Before the year started, most of the kids I knew, that already went to DMA, said that the naval science instructors are strict and very tough on you. When I met Master Sergeant Howie that first day, all of those thoughts were gone.  If I were given the opportunity to name the Educator of the Year, he would be my number one choice, no doubt about it.

The thing that makes MSgt. Howie stand out from most teachers is that not only is he great at teaching his cadets about the military and NJROTC, but also about life and how to be a successful leader in this world. The stories that he has shared with us about his life in the Marines before becoming an NSI are so unbelievable and inspiring. It makes coming to school every morning that much better. I think that listening to real life examples is better than reading a textbook anytime if you ask me. A perfect example was when he indicated to us that he didn’t live in such a great neighborhood growing up, and he was surrounded by what could have been negative influences. Instead of giving in to the hype and allowing his environment to impact his future, he joined the Marines. With hard work and dedication, he turned himself into a successful military leader that led him to become the educator he is today.

Getting a point across to teenagers isn’t always easy. We tend to know everything at this age. I’m not sure if it is his intimidating physical appearance or even the tone of his voice, but he can catch the attention of the entire class with very little effort. You don’t feel like you are being lectured about life lessons, but instead it’s a conversation that is full of positive advice that forces you to think about your character. It’s like he puts ideas and thoughts in your head without actually coming right out and telling you what to do.

Teachers spend more time with us in some weeks than we do with our own families. For that reason, it is important to a student just starting high school to have someone that is a role model but even more important a “go-to” adult. I feel that I can go to MSgt. Howie about my grades, sports, and pretty much any problem I might have. He makes it pretty clear that your opportunities are what you make of them and that the only thing that will stand in your way is yourself.

It is the second marking period of school. I have now spent a little over two months in his Naval Science class. In this short period of time, I have found myself in a classroom with a teacher that motivates, gives positive reinforcement, disciplines fair but firm, and lends an ear to any student who wants to be heard. I honestly feel that he has challenged me to want to be a better person and make good choices in general. For all of those reasons as I said earlier, he would be my number one choice for Educator of the Year, no doubt it. MSgt. Howie is by far the best teacher I have ever had.