Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

January 12, 2017
By T.Marzulli BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
T.Marzulli BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mr. Mckenica was my history teacher in middle school at Holy Angels School. He has been teaching there for about 15 years. Mr. McKenica teaches American history, World history, and current events and is also the Stock Market Game Coordinator for the school.

Mr. Mckenica is one if my favorite teachers because I think he has a unique and fun style of teaching. He is very interactive with his students and does not bombard them with notes or homework. Mr. Mckenica likes to show old movies and videos about the world wars and important events in our country’s history in his classes to help students learn about all types of history.


Mr. Mckenica likes to get to know the students in his class by telling jokes, and giving some students a hard time about things in a fun way. I participated in the stock market game in 7th and 8th grade and Mr. Mckenica was our instructor. Our group won the game in November of 2014 by purchasing a stock called bluebird. As a gift Mr. Mckenica bought the team that won the event small wooden blue jays.
           

Although I was ready to move on from Holy Angels, I was sad to leave behind such a great teacher. I will miss he fun style of teaching but I hope to find a teacher that will be just like him again at my high school.