The Inspirational Ms. P | Teen Ink

The Inspirational Ms. P MAG

By lau24 BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York
lau24 BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York

Christina Pawlowski, a math teacher who graduated from Hofstra University, is the most outstanding teacher I have ever met. I’m so glad she was my geometry teacher last year. Ms. Pawlowski is a teacher and friend I will certainly never forget. She is truly the hardest working, most dedicated, and most involved person I know.
Geometry wasn’t my favorite subject because I wasn’t able to pick it up easily. Luckily, I had a teacher who was always excited to teach and always had a huge smile on her face, even at 7:30 in the morning. I had geometry first period, and I looked forward to going because of Ms. Pawlowski. She made geometry exciting and fun to learn.
One of her teaching techniques was based on a poster called “Mark the Model” which she had created. This poster was her way of reminding students that there was more to math than solving problems. We had to read and interpret what the problem was asking us, and Ms. Pawlowski urged us to mark up models or word problems so we could easily muddle through tough ones. It was her way of helping students feel confident in geometry. Ms. Pawlowski taught us to apply this technique to almost any math problem we did. I continue to use it for problems in my math class this year. Her greatness doesn’t end there though. Ms. Pawlowski is much more than an amazing teacher.
Ms. Pawlowski is always helping her students; she’s a class advisor, math team advisor, and a marathon runner! Ms. Pawlowski dedicates her time to help students whenever they need it. She is a class advisor for freshmen this year, and they are lucky to have her. She meets with them in the mornings, after school, and even during the day, whether they are discussing upcoming events or planning for hallway decoration night. Ms. Pawlowski is always supporting her advisees, and other classes including mine.
Ms. Pawlowski is also the math team advisor, and dedicates a lot of her time to her brilliant team. She meets with them after school and attends competitions. They have had much success, and I applaud her for that. I am lucky to still see Ms. Pawlowski every day because although she is no longer my teacher, I am her student aide. That means I go to her classroom during my lunch period and help her with any school-related jobs. I am able to see firsthand all the activities she has on her plate in addition to being a teacher. We also get to chat about how she loves running marathons. It’s just another activity Ms. Pawlowski squeezes into her busy schedule!
On a personal level, Ms. Pawlowski has greatly impacted my life. From my first day of freshman year until now (as a sophomore) we have had a connection. I knew I could go to her for anything. Although I have only known her for two years, it feels like many more. I know that if I’m having a bad day she’ll be there to listen.
I can’t thank Ms. Pawlowski enough for making my high school years great. Just knowing that I have someone here for me means so much. She is a special person in my life. Ms. Pawlowski inspires me, and I am so glad to have such an amazing teacher.