Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

April 19, 2016
By _veronica_ SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
_veronica_ SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Exercise was the six letter word I always dreaded to hear. I enjoyed the hugging of pillows and blankets as they comforted me while I was watching T.V.. But there came a day when I wanted to do something more than being my usual couch potato self. My mom suggested I go to one of her Sussex crossfit classes. The idea sounded dreadful, dull, and tiring to me, but I gave it a go.


When I entered the gym complex it was nothing I’d expect it to be. In place of treadmills I anticipated to see, there was a metal-jungle rack accompanied by various weights and bars. I thought what kind of gym doesn’t have treadmills and only weights?” This question was soon answered when I witnessed people doing an immense about of burpees and lifting weights in between. At this moment, I thought my life was going to come to an end. But my mom and I  were approached by a buzzed-cut, short yet built man, he shook our hands and said he would be coaching us today. Now, I knew I couldn't go running back to the car and call that my workout.


The first day of the workout itself was brutal for me but Ryan was what made me want to go back the day after. He made jokes as I was going through the workout so it made lifting fifty pounds a little more enjoyable. I never in my life thought that I would being laughing as I was exercising. He was like Kevin Hart, only his stage was a gym.
Over the next months I felt myself becoming more comfortable, not only going to workout, but in my own skin. He helped me become stronger physically and mentally by pushing me through a workout every night. If he noticed I was starting to shake from exhaustion his unwavering encouragement pushed me to continue and so did. I remember this one workout that involved sprinting and I thought I have to stop before I’m finished, there’s no way my legs can move anymore. But Ryan was right there pushing me to finish, his words of encouragement and jokes gave my feet wind to complete it. I didn’t want to show up every night but I did because I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed by what rigorous workout was in store.


Exercise is no longer the six letter word that I dread to hear. Ryan has helped motivate me to improve my health and strength. If it weren’t for him I would not be as healthy and happy like I am now unlike my old couch potato self.