An Inspiration for All | Teen Ink

An Inspiration for All

February 8, 2016
By cludwig19 SILVER, Milford, Connecticut
cludwig19 SILVER, Milford, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kindness is a language that the blind can see and the death can hear." -Mark Twain


Though I have had a couple teachers that have inspired me, the first teacher that comes to mind when I hear this question is my teacher Ms. Sandor. Ms. Sandor is a teacher I will never forget, and I persistently find myself wishing I was in her class and had her as a teacher once again. This teacher was very dedicated to her job, and excelled at it. Ms. Sandor was fun, energetic, caring, and kind. Not only did she teach her students about math, social studies, and reading; Ms. Sandor also taught us about how to be a good person and do good things for others. She was a true role model for her class, and I always looked up to her. It may sound silly, but I often strived to model her behaviors. Ms. Sandor was very passionate about social studies and writing, and taught so much in those subjects. I remember more from her class than I do from any others! Ms. Sandor didn't follow the usual things to instruct the curriculum, like completing worksheets, and always reading textbooks; to her it mattered more that we had a fun year together, learning things hands-on in a way that taught more than what was required for us to know. Though we were older students, she still read books to us, books had themes of life lessons, morals, and values. Ms. Sandor also took time out of the busy year to do special things only her class could do. For example, every Friday my class would meet with "Mentors", elderly people from the senior center Ms. Sandor invited to come. We would have lunch with them, talk, and play games. We established unforgettable connections with these people. Furthermore, Ms. Sandor's class was involved with many community service projects, that taught us to be organized, how to plan things, to be caring, and real world experiences. My class organized the American Cancer Society's Daffodil Days project throughout the school and raised funds to help support cancer research. Furthermore, every Friday for a period of time, we would run our own "stores". For example, my friend Anna and I had a business called A + C's B + Bs. We made our own string bracelets and sewed bookmarks for other students to buy. From our profit, we helped pay for a class field trip to a historical house, plus got to keep the extra money we earned! Ms. Sandor additionally hosted an assembly for Veterans in which I learned how to organize an event like this properly, had fun, and was reminded to be compassionate for others. Ms. Sandor inspired me to keep writing, and to continue doing nice things for others.  Now, I'm sure Ms. Sandor would appreciate that I have joined the Milford Young Women's Club and school Spirit Club, both which are heavily involved in similar civic and charity events. Ms. Sandor was a teacher unlike no other, and I would do anything to spend one more year with her again.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this when I saw the Educator of the Year Contest. Ms. Sandor works very hard and truly deserves to be acknowledged!