Angie Sellers: Educator of the Year, Harlan Independent School | Teen Ink

Angie Sellers: Educator of the Year, Harlan Independent School

By mika_pascual26 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky
mika_pascual26 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky

As Solomon Ortiz has said, “Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students.” I think that Mrs. Angie Sellers should be nominated as Educator of the Year. I think Mrs. Sellers should be Educator of the Year because she did fun activities for her class, she taught her students teamwork, and she taught me more in-depth about the U.S. government and world geography.

Mrs. Sellers should be Educator of the Year because she always thought of fun activities to do in class. For example, after learning about the history of the Chinese Empire, we ate Chinese food and watched Mulan. This shows that Mrs. Sellers was a quite fun teacher to have while she taught us about Chinese History. So, doing fun activities like this made her class fun to be in. Therefore, Mrs. Sellers should be recommended as Educator of the Year because she would do fun activities in class.

Another reason is that Mrs. Sellers taught her students about teamwork. This is shown by how she let us get into groups while working on questions given to us to answer. By getting into groups, we learned how to be able to listen to others. So, this shows us how to compromise and work together. Accordingly, Mrs. Sellers should be Educator of the Year because she taught us teamwork.

The last reason why Mrs. Sellers should get this award is that she taught me more in-depth about the U.S. government and world geography and at the same time made it easier for me to understand. For instance, everyday Mrs. Sellers would ask us questions from the previous lesson we discussed. This proves that she wanted her students to remember the big ideas of the lesson. So, if students did not pay attention to anything at all, she still wanted her students to memorize the big idea. Consequently, I suggest Mrs. Sellers should be Educator of the Year because she made social studies easier to understand.

The impact Mrs. Sellers has left on me is life changing. I recommend Mrs. Sellers as Educator of the Year because her students always had fun in class, she taught us teamwork, and she taught me more about the U.S. government and world geography. Awe-inspiring teachers like her are hard to come by.