Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By wrweske GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
wrweske GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Glossophobia: the second most common fear for Americans. And an even a bigger worry for high school students: this fear of public speaking. Teaching a subject to students overcome fears successfully is a task of something like a gaurdian. I remember before I even went into the class I wanted to drop it, fretful semester to come.. I went into the class with the mindset of only being there one day. But from that day, Mr. Freeburg brought the highly tense class in a laid back, excited, and hopeful mood.

A small room with brick walls, no windows, no shame. Mr. Freeburg taught organizational
communications. The class focused on communication problems in society and in schools. It also helped us with public speaking but making us do it. Every assignment we had was brought together in a speech. He also connected it to the work force by having us create memos of the topic. 

Explaining communication problems in society could get boring if I heard about it every class. So we created a classroom community of our own, or as we called it our “family.” We had activities and weekend roundups to help get to know each other better. We also had to give a presentation on ourselves the second day of class.

Our family met every day which gave us the opportunity to grow as individuals as well as a group. Mr Freeburg made it a mission to get to know every student in the class personally. For me he was relatable in his sense of humor and out of school activities. He was an avid skateboarder and a music advocate. Two things that I find very interesting and fun. He showed us pictures of him when he was our age and also a video of his senior graduation on senior skip day. It wasn’t like learning from a 41 year old -i instead, it was more like an highly educated older brother.

Out of any teacher or person I have ever met, he was the best at reading people. And not just in the classroom. He stands outside the classroom and takes note of body language to know how we are feeling during the day. This gave me the feeling that he actually cared and wanted to know how everyone was feeling. Through that it made me more aware of reading people and how it can help. He is takes note of cultures and people. It gives off the sense that he’s taught you before.

Not much of what I've learned in school can be relevant day by day. But what I learned in his class is relevant and always in my head. The greatest thing I have taken from high school: being aware of what’s around and being able to bring it back into my life to better myself. Yeah - knowledge of math or science helps when I need to do math or science. But we will communicate until the day we die. Again; Glossophobia, the second greatest fear for americans, but not one for me anymore.  And I’m grateful I had Mr Freeburg teaching me it.