Spencer Wright: Chorus • Dawson County High School | Teen Ink

Spencer Wright: Chorus • Dawson County High School MAG

September 10, 2015
By Candice97 SILVER, Dawsonville, Georgia
Candice97 SILVER, Dawsonville, Georgia
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
You always have a choice, but if you don't make the choice, the choice makes you.


What does it mean to be a hero? I think a hero is someone who goes out of their way to make others happy. A hero is someone who follows their heart and puts passion into everything they do. A hero is someone who cares for others more than they care for themselves. My hero is Mr. Wright, my chorus teacher.

When I was 12 years old, my grandparents passed away. I was really close to them, and losing them was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through. After they died, I couldn’t eat, sleep, or think; I felt like I couldn’t even breathe. It was as if my whole world had fallen out from under me, and I fell into this ginormous hole of depression. Every time I tried to climb out I’d fall in deeper, and the light would get further and further away.

Even though I was battling depression and suicidal thoughts, I was determined to make my high school years the best of my life. So when freshman year began, I walked into school holding my head high. It was difficult to be happy, but I had to try. I joined Women’s Choir. Mr. Wright is the choral director and, man, does he love his job! He was so funny that first day, I just knew I had made the best decision of my life.

As the year progressed, I loved chorus more and more. I began to smile again and really enjoy life.

Then one day that all changed. My friends – or those I thought were my friends – started talking about me behind my back and spreading rumors. I was hurt, and I sat by myself. Mr. Wright came over and asked what was wrong. The look in his eyes told me that I could trust him. Trying hard to fight back tears, I told him the whole story.

When I finished, he nodded and told me, “If you never learn anything from me, learn this: No one is worth stealing your joy.” Mr. Wright saved my life that day, because, to be honest, I was considering ending everything. I was tired of crying, and I missed my grandparents so much, but what he said really struck a chord in my heart. He genuinely cared about me and what was going on. He went out of his way to help me feel better. I’ll never forget that. I’ll never be able to thank him enough, because he not only saved my life but has impacted every day of it since. Any time I feel like giving up, I remember Mr. Wright’s words and push forward.

I’m proud to say that I beat my depression, and I’m now a senior. I’m still a part of chorus, and now I’m also in the best choir at my school, the Chamber Singers.

Mr. Wright is a hero to everyone he meets. He cares about every single person who walks through his door, and he loves what he does more than any other teacher I’ve known. That’s why he deserves to be Educator of the Year; he embodies what a teacher is supposed to be. He deserves the title not just this year but every year.

In closing, I just want to say thank you, Mr. Wright. Thank you for being there for me when no one else was. Thank you for the hugs. Thanks for the laughs and the smiles. Thanks for caring about me. Thanks for being an angel in my life and for saving me. Thank you over and over again for everything you’ve done for me. I honestly wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for you. You’re like a second dad to me, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to meet you. Mr. Wright, you are an amazing teacher, and I hope you realize that. You’re my hero.


The author's comments:

Mr. Wright has changed my life and I hope everyone has someone like him in their lives. He's an inspiration and I'm blessed to call him a friend.