Coach Roman | Teen Ink

Coach Roman

By Alexis.Novotny BRONZE, Bear, Delaware
Alexis.Novotny BRONZE, Bear, Delaware

The best thing for a softball player, or any person that plays a sport, is to have a coach they can always count on, on or off the field.  Coach Roman is that person.  He is someone you can trust as a coach and look up to as a person.  He is so much more than a coach.  He portrays the true definition of an inspirational mentor.

I first met Coach Roman playing 12u travel softball.  Our team was in need of a coach, and Coach Roman stepped up to the plate (no pun intended). Coach Roman’s decision to coach our team caused him to miss many of his own children’s games.  His passion for the game and his love of teaching are truly inspiring to me.  Even at the age of 12, I knew I would learn a lot from him.

Luckily, I have been given the opportunity to have him again as a softball coach for high school.  Having him as a coach again three years later, reminded me of how good of a coach he really is.  It seems like no time has passed. He can still tell when I’m nervous, and he knows how to calm me down. Before or after a game, he will talk to me one-on-one giving me words of encouragement. The small things are what really motivate me to do the best that I can possibly do.

He makes sure all of his players know that he will always be there for us. Whether it’s teaching us how to hit the outside pitch, or helping us through personal challenges. He cares for every single one of us as if we were his own daughters. Our team had a game the day before prom. At the end of the game Coach Roman told us that he would have his phone on and turned all the way up, so that if we were stuck somewhere we didn’t want to be or just wanted to go home, to call him and he would come and pick us up

Coach Roman treats us with respects and his positivity and enthusiasm makes learning fun. He always puts in 100% and expects us to do the same. Coach Roman always praises us at our highest points and helps us at our lowest. He inspires me and everyone else to not only be good athletes, but to be good people too.  Coach Roman goes over and beyond your typical softball coach.  I have had many coaches over the 10 years that I’ve played softball, and he is still by far my favorite coach.